1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Limberneck?

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mskayladog, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

I thought this morning it was wry neck but since the girl is holding her neck like CROOK a or like a sideways ? Mark. Her head down towards her front I'm thinking its limber neck or botulism.

Anyone have any advie? I Started her on vitmens that were suggested for crook/ wry neck.

Should I try this treatment? http://www.countryfarm-lifestyles.com/backyard-chickens.html#.VD1fjN33arU

When a fowl loses partial or entire control of the muscles of the neck it is called limber-neck, or wry neck or crook neck. Limber-neck is regarded as a symptom rather than a disease, and may be due to a number of causes, such as bacteria in the dirt, a vitamin deficiency of Vitamin A, toxins in the system, injury or it can even be hereditary.

For a few days the fowls should be fed on some light greens scalded with sweet milk in which has been dissolved a level teaspoonful of baking soda to every pint of milk, and also allowed plenty of crisp, tender lettuce or similar greens. A little Epsom salts should be added to the drinking water for a few days. This treatment, if done at the start will work, but if the poisoning has had its course long, nothing will save the bird.

2. Stiggy

Stiggy Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2014
    New Zealand
    have you got a photo? and or is it holding it so that it looks like its in the fetal position as it would be in the egg? treating it with vit e and selenium are your best bet at this point

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by