Lime in the Brooder?

bucketgirl

Chirping
10 Years
Apr 14, 2009
Snohomish, WA
I have 50 Freedom Rangers in the brooder right now, and I would like some ideas on keeping the smell down. I have an air filter that moves air over the bedding 8 hours during the day and 2 in the evening. I use pine chips for bedding, and constantly add fresh. However, they sometimes spill their water dispensers when they are near empty, so the bedding stays slightly moist.

I want to mix some dolomite lime in, but I don't want them to eat the pellets.

The bedding is on linoleum, which is on a thick plywood floor with solid foam insulation underneath, which is sitting on my garage floor. (Originally intended for a dog run for some spoiled pooches, it has since found a higher calling)

Thoughts, comments, help?

Quote:
What is DE?

Diatemacous EArth (sp?) It is really good at keeping cages and brooders dry and smelling fresh.. Just make sure you purchase the Food Grade only....

Thanks!
thumbsup.gif

I bought some DE and also wood pellets. I assume the DE works by keeping the bedding really dry? Or does it sequester the ammonia somehow?

How much should I use? (I bought food grade)

I just coat the bottom lightly and toss some into the shavings.. By it keeping the bedding dry it automatically keeps the ammonia smell down...

Back
Top Bottom