Lime or Sweet PDZ

eggcited2

Crowing
13 Years
Jul 8, 2010
Illinois
We are wanting to add some drying material and deodorizing to our bedding in my 9 X 18 chicken house.

Would lime be ok? It is an old fashioned method for drying and deodorizing (the river towns have always used it after flooding). I know they also sometimes use it in horse stalls.

There is also a product called Sweet PDZ. I have read on the packaging that it is safe to use for chickens, but still would like to hear from anyone who knows for sure.

We have a dirt floor. There is good ventilation. Openings at the base of the chicken house and several at the top of it. Also, we usually have some wind or breeze every day. (We have wind so much and so often that our road is named Wild Wind) The chicken house is exposed to the west and north winds.

I have used Sweet PDZ on poop trays, and I liked it very much. It kept everything dried and better smelling. It is very safe to use around the chickens, and can even be thrown into your garden or mulch bed. Certain types of lime shouldn't be used around chickens because it is caustic, and unfortunately not too many clerks know that much about it when they sell it. Freds Hens used to post about the right kind to use.

Have you considered poop boards as a possible solution?

I installed them in mine as soon as the chicks were old enough to use the roosts and have loved them. My bedding is pine chips over 1yr old and still looks and smells great. Of course I only have a 4x8 coop with 8 birds but I think the theory is the same when scaled up.

With poop boards everytime you clean them you are removing large amounts of moisture and smell producing sources. I use Sweet PDZ in my poop boards, well mine are actually poop trays but the concept is the same.

There are lots of threads on here discussing poop boards, I have not read through everyone but I don't think I've seen a negative comment relating to them. although one draw back could be the increased maintenance as they need to be cleaned at a higher interval then a coop with deep litter. I do mine about once a week and takes me about 15min.

Is there an issue with water getting into the coop and wetting the bedding?

Moisture is usually what causes odor, if the floor stays dry and you use good dried wood shavings as bedding, you shouldn't have any odor.

How are you dealing the area under the roosts?

Back
Top Bottom