lime

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by newmusher, Nov 23, 2012.

1. newmusher

newmusher Out Of The Brooder

Hey has anyone heard of putting lime in the chickens' drinking water? someone told me that it has to do with the chickens pecking at each other?????

2. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Nope. Never heard of it. It sounds like some half-baked, stupid thing someone heard and wasn't completely listening. Stuff like this gets passed around and gullible people end up doing things that aren't in the best interest of their flocks.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    Is this fresh lime or can it be concentrated juice? I always thought that chickens did not like citrus.

Chris

4. newmusher

Hi. from what I understand its the kind you put in gardens and stuff. apparently it strengthens the egg shells if they are weak

5. Mskayladog

Mskayladog Chillin' With My Peeps

You want a barn lime, but I don't put it in the water I throw some on the floor now and then. To help with shells get some calicum crushed oyster shell and let them to chose to eat it. I also feed back their egg shells to them.

6. newmusher

ok, and a friend of mine who's family had a farm for most of his life said they put it in the water. I will do some more research on it before I attempt that. I do periodically feed the egg shells back to them but their shells are pretty strong. mostly I feed the shells to my sled dogs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by