Liming the Coop

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by ducks4you, Feb 23, 2009.

1. ducks4you

ducks4you Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 20, 2009
    East Central Illinois
    Hi! I'm new to the forum. I've had only a single hen, one at a time for the last 5 years. I did purchase a clutch of 6 Rhode Island Red chicks 2 years ago, and sold the 5 roosters when they got to be 7 months old. They were gorgeous!...and really mean. It took my dog, Rose, who was then still a puppy, to drag them each by the tail and help me load them up to take to the auction. I kept their sister, who is currently on an egg laying strike! (I don't use extra lights in the winter. Don't worry about her--she's fat and sassy!!)

I just ordered 10 Rhode Island Red chicks, expected to be in by March 25th. Here's my dilemma: In researching plans to plan a coop and a tractor, I came across the following article about painting the coop with lime.
    http://tinyfarmblog.com/liming-the-chickenhouse/

What do you'll think? Should I lime the inside...and the outside? Not at all?

The article suggests re-liming every year. My chicken, Fanny, is happy in her converted 3 x 4 x 4 rabbit hutch, which sits in the middle of my horse barn. I inherited it with an unwanted rabbit. When he died I took the time to cover any dangerous (to chickens) rabbit wire, and painted it with 3 coats of exterior paint, including an extra coat to the feet.

I'm torn and need some advice. How about it, BYCers?

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    [​IMG]

What do you'll think? Should I lime the inside...and the outside? Not at all?

I've heard of peeps doing this but have no personal experience on the issue.​

3. pw_quiltworks

pw_quiltworks One Handy Chick

Jan 7, 2009
    Maine
    [​IMG]
    From Old Town, Maine

4. USMC_LB

USMC_LB New Egg

Feb 23, 2009
    Thanks for the link!

LB

5. B. Saffles Farms

B. Saffles Farms Mr. Yappy Chickenizer

Nov 23, 2008
    Madisonville, TN
    [​IMG] from TN

6. ibpboo

ibpboo Where Chickens Ride Horses

Jul 9, 2007
    always changing
    [​IMG]

Thanks for the link. Now I'm thinking, should I do this?

7. Patch of Heaven Farm

Patch of Heaven Farm Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG] from Mississippi

8. The Chicken Lady

The Chicken Lady Moderator Staff Member

Apr 21, 2008
    West Michigan
    [​IMG]

Glad to have you here! [​IMG]

Have you asked your question in the "Coop and Run Design and Construction" section of the forum yet? I'm sure the construction and paint experts who hang out there would have lots of great advice for you. [​IMG]

9. JohnL11935

JohnL11935 Chillin' With My Peeps

I believe the main purpose for using lime whitewash is to help control infestation from mites and fleas. It works as a natural repellant.

Perhaps someone else can confirm this?

10. n-da-woods

n-da-woods Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 18, 2009
    North Carolina
    [​IMG] & WELCOME TO BYC ! from NC

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by