Limp/lame hen with no apparent cause

madalyngibb

In the Brooder
Oct 30, 2023
Hi friends,

I have a 6mo old olive egger who started limping either yesterday or night before. There are no wounds or splinters or anything seemingly apparent, but she will not put any weight on it as of this morning. Yesterday she would limp around on it, but today will only hop on the good leg. I think one toe on the bad leg *may* be swollen, but I’m not certain. We brought her in to keep her comfortable and keep her from having to move around for food and water. I’ve attached some photos and videos and would love any opinions or tips.

Attachments

• IMG_2873.jpeg
    IMG_2873.jpeg
    278.1 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_2874.jpeg
    IMG_2874.jpeg
    287.2 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_2871.jpeg
    IMG_2871.jpeg
    387.1 KB · Views: 10
  • 72037383463__A553C22F-320E-423A-972C-C11DD5237E74.fullsizerender.jpeg
    72037383463__A553C22F-320E-423A-972C-C11DD5237E74.fullsizerender.jpeg
    385.1 KB · Views: 16
I
Hi friends,

I have a 6mo old olive egger who started limping either yesterday or night before. There are no wounds or splinters or anything seemingly apparent, but she will not put any weight on it as of this morning. Yesterday she would limp around on it, but today will only hop on the good leg. I think one toe on the bad leg *may* be swollen, but I’m not certain. We brought her in to keep her comfortable and keep her from having to move around for food and water. I’ve attached some photos and videos and would love any opinions or tips.
It does look a bit swollen, but not too bad. It might be infected or she could have hurt it.
I don't know much on the subject though.

What is your location, please? It can offer clues to what may be going on with your chicken's behavior. Has the weather abruptly changes from hot to cold or cold to hot?

Can you do a bit more of an exam? While holding her, move each leg at a time. Does she put up resistance or is the leg, and then the other, limp and dangling? Stand her on her feet. How is her balance? Is she able to put weight on the leg? Is she able to flex her foot or is it frozen in a curled position?

What is your location, please? It can offer clues to what may be going on with your chicken's behavior. Has the weather abruptly changes from hot to cold or cold to hot?

Can you do a bit more of an exam? While holding her, move each leg at a time. Does she put up resistance or is the leg, and then the other, limp and dangling? Stand her on her feet. How is her balance? Is she able to put weight on the leg? Is she able to flex her foot or is it frozen in a curled position?
Hi there! We live on the gulf coast in Texas. Weather was warm all week and a cold front came in overnight last night. We were out of town this last week and returned yesterday evening to her limping. Neighbor noticed her limp yesterday morning before the cold front came through. Right now she only stands/balances on the good leg. She seems able to flex the bad foot to hobble along at times, but will also at times only hop on the one good leg. When we examine the feet and legs, there is no resistance, and she leaves the injured one dangling with toes curled. She does not have any significant reactions to our examinations. We have felt around the leg, putting pressure on the toes, leg, muscles, all of it. We are so at a loss!

Attachments

• IMG_2886.jpeg
    IMG_2886.jpeg
    392.6 KB · Views: 15
Since she began exhibiting symptoms before the temperature change, It's probably a minor injury give she has function of both legs except that it appears she choose not to but weight on the foot. Do you think there was a chance that she became frightened of something and flew into the side of a wall? Chickens do that. I had a hen become frightened of a visiting dog, fly into the side of the run and damage a toe. It was painful enough that she refused to walk on it for several days.

You can try giving her one 81 grain chewable aspirin and see it she becomes more willing to use the foot. Another aspirin can be given in twelve hours or at bedtime. I see no evidence of this being something serious.

I have this exact same issue. I see nothing wrong. I can move it, she does not pull it back. Her good leg she will pull back. She chooses not to put weight on it. She hops around...

I have this exact same issue. I see nothing wrong. I can move it, she does not pull it back. Her good leg she will pull back. She chooses not to put weight on it. She hops around...
If you start your own thread, we can then help you explore possible causes of your hen's lameness. The most serious cause would be that she's becoming symptomatic from an avian virus such as Marek's or lymphoid leucosis.

Back
Top Bottom