Limp leg niacin recovery speed question

Pics

Redeagletrapping

Songster
Apr 2, 2020
Upstate New York
Hello,
I am a new parent of chickens and ducklings. We purchased at Tractor supply on mon and all was well day 1.

on day 2 I noticed 1 duckling that had been walking fine at the store and on the 1st day now shows signs of not wanting to use the right leg. It keeps its leg lifted and pushed forward.

After checking all the niacin deficiency posts here and slipped tendon posts I purchased niacin pills in powder form and am administering 2x a day as well as supplementing niacin powder into the water and feed.
Feeling both legs it does not appear to be anything with the tendon.
I am on my way out at 8 to grab the durvet high level vitamin b.

I have chick starter feed and duck starter feed.

I also crushed up some brewers yeast tabs and sprinkled in water and feed.

How long before I see any improvement if it is Niacin deficiency ?

It started Wednesday morning I have syringe fed water niacin 2x a day wed and thurs.

Does it take days or weeks to see a difference ?

Currently the baby is in with the rest of the flock seems to be eating and drinking fine on it's own.

I have video of the chick walking stumbling but am unsure how to upload says not in right format so if anyone has a converter to recommend format let me know.

I guess I am hoping for super speedy recovery as I have a bird vet for our conjures, but I am unsure of when to visit if just niacin.

Thanks a bunch I know there are lots of threads but I was hoping for an answer of speed to recovery time if its niacin.

It depends on how long the ducklings has had it, but most people report improvement usually within a few hours or days.
Ok I'm at tractor supply now, this duckling looked fine day 1 , and now has been 24 hours on niacin and this will be the 2nd full day.

Thanks I'll see what happens with the durvet, it's always a possibility it got hurt getting grabbed by the guy at tractor supply

Ok I'm at tractor supply now, this duckling looked fine day 1 , and now has been 24 hours on niacin and this will be the 2nd full day.

Thanks I'll see what happens with the durvet, it's always a possibility it got hurt getting grabbed by the guy at tractor supply
this is what you want. TSC carries it
IMG_0216.JPG

this is what you want. TSC carries it
View attachment 2073599
Perfect that's what I grabbed. I dosed it at 1 ml per another thread. Do you recommend 1x daily or 2x , brewers yeast is mixed in food and 20grns and I have niacin powder mixed in as well.

I noticed it limping and started niacin within 2 hours of me noticing but now still limping so hopefully the complex b works.

Thanks. Will stay posted.

Perfect that's what I grabbed. I dosed it at 1 ml per another thread. Do you recommend 1x daily or 2x , brewers yeast is mixed in food and 20grns and I have niacin powder mixed in as well.

I noticed it limping and started niacin within 2 hours of me noticing but now still limping so hopefully the complex b works.

Right now the dose is, 1ml a day over treats.

You are administering three types of B complex into there diet? Brewers yeast, Niacin Powder and Durvet?

Perfect thank you I stopped the niacin powder.
The only one I was giving oral niacin too was the one with the leg issue.
The others got some niacin mixed in the water source. I know some gets wasted.

The 5 other ducks are all healthy as are the 8 chickens , just this one started the day after we got it. So Wednesday.

The brewers yeast was tab form I crushed in a mortal/pestle and sprinkled in food , 1 tab per 1 big bowl.

I purchased duck starter and chicken starter and have both out and available to all.

I did just seperate the lil duckling with 2 small chickens as the duckling was being trampled, it is holding it's own but figured a second brooder wont hurt.

So at this point the consensus is 1ml of high level b per day over threats for all?

Should I keep doing the 1ml oral for the one seperate ?

I am familiar and comfortable giving orally

Thanks

Back
Top Bottom