Limping 6 day old Peking duck

Augustine val

In the Brooder
Jul 19, 2015
Please help! I am new to having ducks. I have a 6 day old Peking duck that is limping and does not like to walk. She was fine yesterday and this morning. I feed them 18% dumor chick starter with nothing in there water. On the leg that she limps on she does seem to have a little lump on her toe. But I'm not sure if it is normal. What can I do to help her???? Please help..

If you aren't adding niacin to the water, are you adding brewers yeast to the food?

Ducklings need extra niacin in their diet. Early leg issues are typically related to a niacin deficiency

If you aren't adding niacin to the water, are you adding brewers yeast to the food?

Ducklings need extra niacin in their diet. Early leg issues are typically related to a niacin deficiency 

No I don't add anything. What should I add??

First, 18% protein is insufficient. For the first two weeks, ducklings need a minimum of 22% protein. Here is a helpful chart that shows the minimum nutritional needs of ducks by age.

Second, supplement their niacin intake by purchasing brewer's yeast powder, which is available in the vitamin section of many pharmacies or online (I used Solgar brand with my ducklings), and sprinkling it over their food.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom