Limping but no signs of bumblefoot?

nolitaflat

Chirping
May 10, 2020
Hey all. My poor wyandotte has been having a rough day. This morning I came up to their pen and noticed she was just sitting there, not moving. I opened the door to free range, brought their water out and gave them fresh water and then she came out to drink. She's favoring her right leg and won't put any pressure on her left foot.

I picked her up, checked for signs of bumblefoot or even just a cut or bruise and there was nothing. She allowed me to move the foot and toes around and touch, didn't even flinch. She's been showing signs of wanting to lay (bright red comb and wattle, nice warm weather lately, submitting to my rooster finally after 8 months) so I put her in the nesting box. She was also pumping her tail and seemed like she was trying to push something using her abdominal muscles. She jumped out of her first time in the nesting box after a few minutes. I put her back in a little bit later and she stayed in there for about an hour and a half before she finally laid an egg, her first! It was hard, chalky, and felt dense.

I haven't been supplementing them with oyster shells as my Easter Egger has had zero issues laying. My wyandotte is able to get in and out of the coop, but not on her roost. She's eating her snacks (absolutely loved the blueberry bagel I gave them today) and she's eating her normal food, eating the oyster shells now, and drinking water fine. Just prefers to sit all day.

Do we think maybe she's still hurting from the possibly bound egg she had earlier? Maybe a sprain or break? I'll try and attach videos from today to this post.

Pumping her tail while in the nesting box, her first time in

After drinking some water and snacking a little, went back in the nesting box to eventually lay

She is walking on her hock, and it could be possible that she has injured or ruptured her hock tendon. Sometimes an early sign of Mareks disease can be walking on a hock. Are her toes on the left foot curled under? I would get some human vitamin B complex, and give her 1/4 tablet daily crushed into some food or in a spoonful of water. That could help if she has a riboflavin deficiency.

She is walking on her hock, and it could be possible that she has injured or ruptured her hock tendon. Sometimes an early sign of Mareks disease can be walking on a hock. Are her toes on the left foot curled under? I would get some human vitamin B complex, and give her 1/4 tablet daily crushed into some food or in a spoonful of water. That could help if she has a riboflavin deficiency.

Thank you for the reply! I’m praying it’s not some kind of disease. I love her so much. I’ll look into getting some of that for sure!
And nope, the toes on the left foot aren’t curled at all. She can even still move her toes and stuff, so it’s not totally just hanging. She just won’t put pressure on it.

Here’s an update on my girl. She seems to be in much better spirits! Comb and wattle still bright red, laying eggs still.

Now I’ve gotten a better video of that hurt foot... anyone have any idea??? I brought her out of the coop to get some sunshine. She’s been spending her days in the coop but been eating and drinking and the other hen and my rooster aren’t picking on her at all.

Back
Top Bottom