Limping chick?

haunani

In the Brooder
Feb 20, 2017
near Rockford, IL
One of my week old chicks started limping yesterday. I couldn't find an obvious reason for it last night, but this morning I can see that one foot is a little swollen and pink. Any ideas on what it could be and how I can help her?

This is the best picture I could get.

It could be bumblefoot which is pretty serious. I would do more research on it if I were you. If there are more symptoms of it then I would go to a vet if it really matters. you also could let it happen or kill it. But research bumblefoot first.

I can barely see a bit of swelling on the foot on the right side as we look at the photo.

The chick may have worked a splinter from wood shavings, if that's what you use for bedding, into the pad. It's not yet infected, but if left alone, it could fester and a staph infection could ensue..

The best course of action is a very warm, hot, but not hot enough that it burns your hand, Epsom salt soak. You need to keep the foot submerged for a good 15 to 20 minutes. Dry the foot and run you finger nail across the swollen spot several times to dislodge any foreign body.

Vetericyn spray or gel is the best wound treatment. But antibiotic ointment will do fine.

Keep an eye on the foot and if the swelling and redness persists, repeat the above treatment each day until the swelling disappears.

Hey idk if you guys would have any info on this but my duck broke its leg and I have no idea what to do. I'm scared a visit to the vet will cost thosusands

Hey idk if you guys would have any info on this but my duck broke its leg and I have no idea what to do. I'm scared a visit to the vet will cost thosusands
Welcome to BYC @taylorpiccolo , sorry you're having troubles.

Best to start a new thread in the emergency sections with pics of leg:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/forums/threads/add/forumId/10

If leg bone is truly broken, it's probably best to euthanize.... if you can't afford a vet or could even find one that would treat a duck.

Back
Top Bottom