Limping Chicken after kitten pounce

NewChickenmama06

Songster
5 Years
Apr 5, 2019
Western Ma
Hi have a 2 year old hen that got pounced on by our kitten. It wasn't hard but it scared my hen and she must have somehow hurt her leg/foot. She can stand on it ok and she limps at some points, but not others. She jumped down from our couch and it didn't seem to bother her. She is acting fine other then the limp.We are keeping her inside for now in hopes it will get better. Does anyone know if this is a sprain and how can she get better so she can go back out? She is driving me crazy because she wants to go back outside with her flock lol:barnie

Believe it or not, she could be in a mild state of shock from the kitten attack and it is affecting her legs. Give her a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in plus a pinch of salt and baking soda. She may get better from this remedy for shock.

Believe it or not, she could be in a mild state of shock from the kitten attack and it is affecting her legs. Give her a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in plus a pinch of salt and baking soda. She may get better from this remedy for shock
Really? Wow, thats really interesting. I ended up letting her back with her flock tonight because she was literally driving me crazy lol. She was going to my screen door and yelling and kicking the it believe it or not!! She seemed fine in the coop and is in her normal spot to sleep. No one picked on her. I will definitely try giving that to her tomorrow and see if she is better. Thank you! I will let you know if it worked:thumbsup

Believe it or not, she could be in a mild state of shock from the kitten attack and it is affecting her legs. Give her a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar stirred in plus a pinch of salt and baking soda. She may get better from this remedy for shock.
Good morning. I gave her the water mix and she drank half of it or a little more. About a half hour ago. I am including pictures, just in case I missed something.

Attachments

• 20220929_091551.jpg
    20220929_091551.jpg
    227.1 KB · Views: 1
  • 20220929_091615.jpg
    20220929_091615.jpg
    281.7 KB · Views: 1
If she doesn't recover the use of her legs by this afternoon, she may be assumed to have some nerve damage from the attack. Have you looked carefully for claw wounds on her back and sides? If you see any, she may need to go on an antibiotic as bacteria from cat scratches can be lethal.

If this is due to nerve damage, it may be treated with B-complex, a tablet popped into the beak once a day for about a month. Vitamin E can be added for additional potency.

If she doesn't recover the use of her legs by this afternoon, she may be assumed to have some nerve damage from the attack. Have you looked carefully for claw wounds on her back and sides? If you see any, she may need to go on an antibiotic as bacteria from cat scratches can be lethal.

If this is due to nerve damage, it may be treated with B-complex, a tablet popped into the beak once a day for about a month. Vitamin E can be added for additional potency.
She can use her legs, she is walking , perching, running, jumping, and at some points when she is walking slowly eating, she isn't even limping. Everything is 100% fine, except the limping.

Back
Top Bottom