Limping Chicken and I Don't Know What To Do

Alek

Chirping
Feb 20, 2021
My chicken is limping and can now only stand on one foot for some reason. She holds her leg up to her body and keep it there all the time. I don't know if she's eating and drinking well but every time I see her she's usually standing on one foot near a wall. Her foot is swelling a little bit but I don't think that it is bumblefoot. I am suspicious as to whether it is a broken toe but I can't be sure. I would like some help as to identifying it and helping it heal.

Can you post some pictures of the foot and toe, both bottom and top view, clear and in focus, up close?
I think that it may be something in her leg that might be causing her to keep her foot off of the ground and would probably at least flinch or something if it was her foot when I try to inspect it.
20210220_160521.jpg
20210220_160546.jpg

Last edited:
The pictures aren't showing here, but I was able to see them in the alert I got. I don't see any major swelling, there may be some at the base of the middle toe. The bottom of the foot is too dirty to see if there are any signs of bumblefoot. If you can clean it up, and take another picture, it would help. She may just have tweaked something, jumping from a roost, etc, and it may resolve with some time. If she's having trouble getting around, or other birds are picking on her I would crate her to let her rest it. You can do warm epsom salt soaks for her foot, that will help with pain and swelling. That and resting it will hopefully let it resolve. Her toes appear to be staying in position so I would not try to splint anything at this point.

The pictures aren't showing here, but I was able to see them in the alert I got. I don't see any major swelling, there may be some at the base of the middle toe. The bottom of the foot is too dirty to see if there are any signs of bumblefoot. If you can clean it up, and take another picture, it would help. She may just have tweaked something, jumping from a roost, etc, and it may resolve with some time. If she's having trouble getting around, or other birds are picking on her I would crate her to let her rest it. You can do warm epsom salt soaks for her foot, that will help with pain and swelling. That and resting it will hopefully let it resolve. Her toes appear to be staying in position so I would not try to splint anything at this point.
Thank you for the tips. I will try the espom soaks and see if they help as well as see if she will let me clean off her foot. I will section her off from the others even though the other chickens for some reason haven't even pecked at her. But I probably wouldn't have splinted it unless I thought it was absolutely necessary since she holds it at almost a square angle to her other foot(straight out).

The chicken has been resting and we just cleaned her foot when our dogs dragged another chicken from someone else's house into our yard. I will put up pictures of her foot in a few minutes. She might have broken her knuckle becausr whenever I put pressure on it she closes her eyes like she's in pain and doesn't open them until I stop putting pressure on her foot knuckle thing. But what do you think that I should do about this new escapee chicken? He/She has shown no signs of aggression to the other chicken.
20210306_131224.jpg
20210306_135427.jpg
20210306_135917.jpg

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom