LIMPING CHICKEN - Is it possible to catch Bumblefoot early and take care of it?

lifthiminsong

Songster
7 Years
Aug 9, 2012
Four days ago I noticed one of my two leghorns limping some. I did not check her simply because she's flighty, the temps were in the teens, and because she was still eating and acting otherwise normal. Then, by evening I realized that she had not laid her daily egg.

The next day I was sure to take note of her behavior. She was still slightly limping and still no egg. But, she was acting even more "normal" so I thought perhaps it was just some fluke that was working itself out.

Day three she didn't seem to be limping hardly at all and laid her egg. I was sure all was well.

Now today, limping again and no egg. She still came running for feeding time and was acting okay, but I decided to bring her in, bathe her and check her feet.

Upon searching the net on Bumblefoot, I realized that my little hen may be struggling with the beginning stages of it....I found a small sore that was black. The sore itself is not very swollen, if at all. I have soaked her feet in an Epsom salt bath and scraped the scab off checking for a "kernel" to remove. I haven't found one, but have treated her foot with triple anitibiotic ointment.
I have set her up in a cozy box with bedding for the night.

Have I done well?
Any other suggestions?

nothing left to do except scrub your hands and disinfect any thing it came in contact with. if it is bumble foot, it is contagious. staph infection can make you pretty sick

Okay, kept her in overnight. This morning she is drinking water like there is no tomorrow.
She's limping considerably, but not with the foot I cleaned. I'll still keep an eye on that one, keeping it clean, but I'm now convinced that the other leg/foot is the issue.
The problem is that I CANNOT see anything wrong with her leg/foot!!
Any suggestions?
Thanks!

How old is she? She could have strained or sprained her leg by fighting, jumping down from a roost, etc. You could try isolating her in a dog crate/area with a thick layer of bedding and no roost, and give vitamins. This will help her heal if it is a sprain or strain. Leg injuries often take a long time to heal.

Do you know if she was vaccinated for Marek's Disease? Often times, limping is one of the first symptoms of Mareks.

I got her as a chick from TSC this past Spring, so she's only 9-10mos old.

I don't think there's been any fighting, but jumping from elevated places is a constant.

Since I bought her through TSC, how would I know or find out if she's been vaccinated? I guess I assumed she had to be since she went thru the "market" rather than me buying her from a farm etc.

Thanks so much for your help and input.

Back
Top Bottom