Limping chicken

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by petra56, Apr 18, 2017.

1. petra56

petra56 Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2016
    Seguin Texas
    I have already posted about my gen walking on her "elbow?" on her right leg. I started the vitamins as suggested but went ahead and took her to the vet also. He checked her leg really well and couldn't find anything wrong with it at all. She weighs 3 1/2 lbs and he told me to give her 1/2 cc of baby vitamins for about a month and keep her in a small pen. He said if it didn't get well I would have to put her down. When she stands up she puts it down but when she walks it gives again. She started having really watery diarrhea yesterday so I took her off the vitamins and a few days ago she had a little bit of blood on her poop when it was normal. I don't want to put her down if possible! Any suggestions?????? Thank you so much!

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    I'm glad you were able to see a vet, you may want to talk with them some more about her condition. Blood in the poop can be an indication of Coccidiosis, so either have your vet confirm an overload through a fecal sample or you can start her on Corid for treatment.

Corid dosage is 1 1/2 teaspoons Corid powder per gallon or 2 teaspoons of 9.6% Corid liquid per gallon
    Give for 5-7 days - make sure this is the ONLY water available during that time period. Mix a fresh batch at least once a day.
    After they finish treatment offer some poultry vitamins and probiotics/plain yogurt.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by