Limping chicken

cepsav

Chirping
7 Years
Aug 24, 2013
I have a 7 year old Golden Comet that started limping slightly 6 weeks ago. I have checked her for injuries and there are none. (She is a repeat offender for Bumblefoot that I have had to ”operate on” twice). Her poop is of normal consistency, so I’m pretty sure she is not egg bound. She is eating and Drinking normally and until a few days ago, would leave the coop to free range on her own. As of this am she is not putting any weight on the leg, only to hop from nesting material to food and water.
Any insight into to what might be the issue would be greatly appreciated!

I posted this thread yesterday. Am really hoping someone can help. Thanks in advance!

7 year old Golden Comet that started limping slightly 6 weeks ago
Her poop is of normal consistency, so I’m pretty sure she is not egg bound. She is eating and Drinking normally and until a few days ago
As of this am she is not putting any weight on the leg, only to hop from nesting material to food and water.
Welcome To BYC

Does she still lay eggs? When was the last one?

When you examine her, do you notice if she has any swelling/bloat or fluid in her abdomen below the vent between her legs?

With her being older, the limping could be from a number of things from injury to reproductive issues that are catching up to her.

If she's not getting picked at I would leave her in the coop, making her comfy and see that she's eating/drinking well. Since she's not roosting (I assume) I would monitor her crop to ensure it's emptying overnight.

7 is super old for a golden comet. Their natural lifespan is anywhere from 3 to 8 years old. It sounds like you have provided great care since she has made it to 7. Since they are a hybrid, specifically bred to lay copious amounts of eggs, they are prone to serious reproductive disorders and an earlier death than “regular” chickens. She may be coming to the end of her natural life cycle.... or she could have sprained or injured something jumping off a roost or whatever.... I would put her in a small crate with food and water to limit her movements and see if it heals up from rest. While she’s in the crate you will be able to examine her poop and check to make sure her crop is emptying properly overnight.

Welcome To BYC

When you examine her, do you notice if she has any swelling/bloat or fluid in her abdomen below the vent between her legs?

With her being older, the limping could be from a number of things from injury to reproductive issues that are catching up to her.

If she's not getting picked at I would leave her in the coop, making her comfy and see that she's eating/drinking well. Since she's not roosting (I assume) I would monitor her crop to ensure it's emptying overnight.
Welcome To BYC

Thanks so much for answering!
She does still lay, as of mid August, which was the last time, just before molting started.
I did some feeling around yesterday but don’t recall feeling any bloat but will check her again when lifting her into the coop this afternoon. (What would it mean if she is bloated below her vent?)
She is not roosting, so I will be sure to keep an eye on her crop.
She isn’t being picked on, in fact my other chicken(last 2 of 4) goes and sits with her from time to time in between free ranging, lol!
Thanks again and I guess I will just keep letting her rest and monitoring and hope she’ll be back to normal eventually.

Thanks so much for answering!
She does still lay, as of mid August, which was the last time, just before molting started.
I did some feeling around yesterday but don’t recall feeling any bloat but will check her again when lifting her into the coop this afternoon. (What would it mean if she is bloated below her vent?)
She is not roosting, so I will be sure to keep an eye on her crop.
She isn’t being picked on, in fact my other chicken(last 2 of 4) goes and sits with her from time to time in between free ranging, lol!
Thanks again and I guess I will just keep letting her rest and monitoring and hope she’ll be back to normal eventually.
She may be having difficulty coming back into lay since she molted.
Hard to know exactly what's going on with her.
I've found that separation from the flock is stressful on birds. Personally, I would leave her and just tend to her inside the coop. Sounds like she's self limiting already and not getting picked on, has company from time to time. You don't mention your location, but if your weather is cool, add some extra bedding/straw for her to snuggle into and check on her often like you are already doing.

I know that some like to separate and that's fine, but even when I know a bird of mine is in a state of decline, I leave her with her flock - it doesn't seem quite fair to be separated out and go alone.

Back
Top Bottom