Limping Chicken?

staceyl

Songster
10 Years
Jul 2, 2009
I just rounded up my chickens to put them back in the pen after free ranging and one of them has a definite limp. I picked her up and looked and I don't see anything obvsiouly wrong with the foot or leg. Should I just give it a day and see how she is doing? Any ideas what to look for?

Thanks.
Stacey

Originaly posted 11-08-09

My best layer a Golden sex-link started limping last Wednesday. We did the same, looked for a sliver or cut in her little foot, but nothing. She also held it up while standing still. She acted normal other than the limp. By the week-end it was much better, so I assumed a strain?? I am not noticing a limp when she is walking a normal pace, but this morning as she came down from the coop from laying her egg I was throwing some scratch out and she came running really fast to get her share and I noticed her favoring the same foot as she ran. I am now wondering if she is catching it on the ladder to the coop as she is coming down or something. I am going to look closer at her nails to see if I can find a clue like maybe a cracked or chipped nail? I hope you find out why yours is limping too.
fl.gif

I didn't find anything different when I looked closer at her in November. It has now been about about two months and I still notice a limp when she runs fast. She seems fine other than the limp.

Thanks 5 spoiled hens! I was just concerned that its something that would become infected and get worse. But she is putting weight on it, just limping, so I will try not to stress out about it. She still runs fast enough that its challenging to catch her so I can look at it.
I'm thinking maybe a bruise? But a strain makes sense too.

Ah, I see it now with a search. Gosh, I hope not. I didnt' see anything when I looked at her foot, but will keep an eye for something like that, thanks.

Back
Top Bottom