Limping chicken :(

Ohiostatfan

In the Brooder
11 Years
May 16, 2008
Ohio
*sobs* My little Andalusian roo is limping. He and my favorite OEG roo were running away from the dog (dog wasn't actually DOING anything, just standing there w/ me) and now he's all limpy.
He's getting around quite well (though he has an odd 'gait' to him) eating, drinking, etc and REALLY doesn't want me to catch him. Nothing looks amiss, all parts look intact and normal, he's just limpy.

They're outside now in a smallish (16 x 10) area, do I need to catch him and put him in a smaller space inside?

~Bridget

I would check his legs and thighs very closely. Even if there is no visable damage on the outside, he could have sprained or pulled muscles or tendons in his legs. If his legs seem sore (like if he cries and fusses when you touch it) Put him away from other roosters so they dont further hurt him. I wouldn't put him in a smaller area, because he may need to "walk it out".

If al all posable, finding a vet that can take a look at it and pinpoint the problem is the best thing to do. That way you don't make the problem worse. If you can't, keep an eye on it and see if it improves. You may need to cast his leg.

well keep an eye on him today,,,,maybe he just pulled something,,,,keep him calm...
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom