Limping chicken

fivebirds

Hatching
5 Years
Sep 13, 2014
My 4 1/2 mo old bantam plymouth barred rock is limping. She's layed daily for 3 wks but hasn't layed in 3 days...I thought it was the shorter days but I noticed her right foot is not the same as her left...when she stands she only stands on her left foot. I'm worried that she could be eggbound but I checked her and didn't feel any lumps- can the pain of her foot cause her to stop laying eggs? Not sure what is wrong with her or why she's not laying...I'm new to this so not sure what to look for/worry about for her.

She could have been just playing around and accidently sprained it or something. I would suggest taking her to the vet, but before you do, try to figure out exactly what the problem is. I would also check her for bumblefoot. Bumblefoot is a bacterial infection that casues an inflammatory reaction on the feet of birds and rodents. It's characterized by swelling, sometimes redness and a black scab on the bottom of the foot. If left untreated, it can be fatal as it spreads to the tissue and bones.

Welcome to BYC. When she walks, does she use her other foot at all, and are the toes curled under? Does she just hold the bad leg up, or does she drag it? She could have a sprain, break, or a vitamin deficiency, but some diseases such as mycoplasma synoviae and viral arthritis could be a problem. Sprains are very common with active chickens, and I would rest her leg by placing her in a cage with food, water containing a B Complex tablet dissolved daily, for at least a week, and up to 2 weeks, then looking at how she is walking. Make sure your roosts are not high, and look at her feet, leg bones, and joints for swelling, and at foot pad for swelling, redness, or the black dot of bumblefoot.

Back
Top Bottom