Limping Duck - Am I missing anything? (Pictures)

She’s in and not super thrilled about it thought my porch Drake is quite happy to have a buddy. Anyway, I noticed she does have some swelling where her flipper meets her leg (circled in red). I don’t think it’s bumblefoot, but I’m going to try to examine her better tomorrow or later tonight after she’s had some rest - catching her wore us all out! Maybe I can soak it in epsoms salt? I also gave her more aspirin and a little rooster booster.

8E8964AF-4371-4349-9115-27E779ABACCE.jpeg

Hopefully some rest and TLC will have her up and going very soon. Epsom salt soaks can help with inflammation and swelling. Could she have injured her leg getting out of the pool or stepping in a hole?

Hopefully some rest and TLC will have her up and going very soon. Epsom salt soaks can help with inflammation and swelling. Could she have injured her leg getting out of the pool or stepping in a hole?
She and the others were rooting around in a big pile of leaves they like to play in for about 20 minutes when she came back limping a few days ago. I was out with them, but I had company so I wasn't paying super close attention, but I think it's possible she stepped in a hole or tripped on something. She's my feisty girl, so there is no telling. She's eating and drinking fine and I can hear her quacking all the way across the house. I do think it's just a sprain or something along those lines. It is better than it was as in she can put more weight on it, so I'm hoping by sometime next week, she'll be okay. If not, I may try to take her to the vet - mine has stopped seeing birds during the bird flu scare, so I'll have to see if I can find one. Thank you!

I have a few that are clumsy too and will turn up with a limp. I just keep them from overdoing and usually less than a week they are back and going strong, hopefully it will be the same for your feisty one.

I have a few that are clumsy too and will turn up with a limp. I just keep them from overdoing and usually less than a week they are back and going strong, hopefully it will be the same for your feisty one.
That's good to know! I probably should have separated her sooner, but she was doing pretty good about resting on her own and staying away from the boys until yesterday, she got more active and overdid it, I think. Plus, I knew she'd be hard to catch, and I didn't want to hurt her further.

I second what @Miss Lydia says

You can also put her in deep water to take some weight off the leg and help rehabilitate it. I usually use a bathtub, but that is not an option for all. Otherwise, I would keep doing what you are doing.

I second what @Miss Lydia says

You can also put her in deep water to take some weight off the leg and help rehabilitate it. I usually use a bathtub, but that is not an option for all. Otherwise, I would keep doing what you are doing.

Thank you! I might try that too. I gave her a tub of water in one of those little plastic basins you get from the hospital, and she's been in and out of it every time I go check on her, but it's definitely not deep enough for swimming.

I think you all were right! She is standing on it more, and the swelling has gone way down today. She still holds it up some, but I'm going to leave in there until at least Monday probably, even though she is not happy at all. I went to change her water this morning, and had to hold her in. On the other hand, my drake on the porch is so happy to have her that he sleeps up against her crate door. They were best buddies when he was with the flock, so who knows - I may end up keeping them together. Thanks again!

Back
Top Bottom