Female ducks fighting

Bird Worrier

Songster
6 Years
Dec 31, 2017
Our female Saxony duck keeps fighting with two other female ducks. The drake stays out of it. One of the ducks she is fighting with is very small and has a limp. I am trying to keep her separated from the rest for the most part. I've tried spraying the Saxony with water or holding her down when I'm able to catch her. Neither does any good. She's the largest of all 6 ducks. I think this behavior started when I put my ducks on a diet. I thought they were getting heavy. And now I'm paying for it. I've since increased their food but they keep fighting. And they're a lot louder than they used to be. Suggestions?

If one is getting beat up and has a limp, that one needs to be separated and better if it's 2 together so one doesn't get depressed being alone. I have Muscovy and I have one in a dog crate inside the coop right now because she was picking on her sister when I put them in the coop last night. Females can be temperamental and other than separation or rehoming there isn't much else we can do.

If one is getting beat up and has a limp, that one needs to be separated and better if it's 2 together so one doesn't get depressed being alone. I have Muscovy and I have one in a dog crate inside the coop right now because she was picking on her sister when I put them in the coop last night. Females can be temperamental and other than separation or rehoming there isn't much else we can do.
Lydia! I can always count on you. Thank you so much. I'm afraid that her behavior has caught on with a couple of the other ducks. Aggression is contagious, I guess. Depressing.

I have seen my Muscovy drake intervene a few times but not in a while.

My Runner drake just stands and watches.

I think your girls will eventually stop. Is anyone actually getting injured?

I wonder if hormonal changes may cause this? I notice too that in spring they can have squabbles. They work it out.

The only one I have to really step into and stop is my one Muscovy female she'll beat the tar out of a chicken with her wings if she gets a chance to grab one that Makes me have to intervene. Most of the chickens give her a wide berth.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom