My male Rouen ducks won't get along 😞🦆

TwinDuckies

In the Brooder
Jan 30, 2024
This adorable little guy is Amadeus. He is an amazing swimmer and loves playing with his twin brother Darius, but I can't get their big brother Sergey to accept them. They start fighting and I end up having to separate them immediately because I don't want my precious duckies to get hurt.

Is there a way that I can possibly get Sergey to accept Ami and Dari? I currently have them fenced separately but would love for all of my duckies to be one big happy family.

I also have 2 female rouens, 2 pekin ducks, a khaki Campbell, a swedish black/Cayuga mix, a crested duck, and a Saxony duck ❤️

Screenshot_20240118-175631.png

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240118-175631.png
    Screenshot_20240118-175631.png
    880.3 KB · Views: 0
With the mating season upon us the aggression between them will only get worse. I would keep your boys separated so they don't hurt or potentially kill each other. You also don't have enough hens to support 3 males in your flock. You generally need 4-10 hens per drake depending on sexually driven they are. An overzealous drake will not only over mate the hens, but the risk of death, particularly by accidental drowning, can occur. I strongly recommend rehoming either one or two of your drakes, either the head male that bullies the other two, or the two non-dominant drakes.

With the mating season upon us the aggression between them will only get worse. I would keep your boys separated so they don't hurt or potentially kill each other. You also don't have enough hens to support 3 males in your flock. You generally need 4-10 hens per drake depending on sexually driven they are. An overzealous drake will not only over mate the hens, but the risk of death, particularly by accidental drowning, can occur. I strongly recommend rehoming either one or two of your drakes, either the head male that bullies the other two, or the two non-dominant drakes.
Oh no, is there anything else I can do? I love all three of them so much 😔. Amadeus and Darius were raised together so they don't fight at all and even look like twins, and I used to sleep holding Sergey in my arms when he was a little fuzzy duckling so I'm very attached to him also

Oh no, is there anything else I can do? I love all three of them so much 😔. Amadeus and Darius were raised together so they don't fight at all and even look like twins, and I used to sleep holding Sergey in my arms when he was a little fuzzy duckling so I'm very attached to him also
You could keep them in separate flocks, Sergey and all the ladies together, and Amadeus and Darius together, but that would require you to build a new coop, run, and all that jazz. Maybe after mating season you can try to reintroduce them, but as I said before, you don't have enough girls in your flock to have all three boys together with them.

Back
Top Bottom