Mating Ducks/Agression

jennygirl99

In the Brooder
Nov 8, 2023
We have two male ducks (no female ducks because she passed away). Its mating season and they are trying to mount our chickens. They have also been fighting each other some, but only around the chickens. We dont want them hurt so we have been separating the ducks by putting them in the coop (which is roomy). I was just wondering if they could be become depressed being in there most of the day. We hate that they have to be in there but I dont want them hurting my chickens.

You’ve done right by separating them - drakes can harm or even kill chickens by mating with them. For the time being, if they’re not fighting, have food, water, and room to walk around, they’ll be okay.

Is there any chance you can build them their own coop / fenced area away from the chickens?

You’ve done right by separating them - drakes can harm or even kill chickens by mating with them. For the time being, if they’re not fighting, have food, water, and room to walk around, they’ll be okay.

Is there any chance you can build them their own coop / fenced area away from the chickens?
hey thank you for the reply! we are planning to put up fencing in the backyard sometime this summer so they will have better separation at some point. I just didnt know if it was okay to leave them in there. they have all necessities in the coop tho.

Kathi is correct, two hormonal drakes going after chickens is a recipe for disaster. So long as their needs (other than procreation!) are met, and they aren't fighting, they'll be fine.

Will you be getting them some females, or just stay with a bachelor flock for now?
just staying with a bachelor flock for now! does the mounting get better outside of mating season or is it continuously like this?

just staying with a bachelor flock for now! does the mounting get better outside of mating season or is it continuously like this?
I've found my drakes will try to mate anytime if given the opportunity, but it's worse during the milder seasons. The chickens are in mortal danger around them no matter what.

A friend of mine had one Drake and one duck hen along with half a dozen chicken hens. First her duck hen died and then two of her chicken hens from the Drake breeding them and he was still chasing the other chickens around before she rehomed him.
Do you have them separated at night also or are they all in the coop together at night?

I wouldn’t count on it getting better. Even if it seemed to be better, all it takes is 1 minute for a drake to get on a chicken and kill them. For the sake of your chickens, they should never be put together again.

My chickens and ducks live together without problems my Runner drake has so many females he’s too worn out to even think about going after a chicken. They have all lived together since 2016. They are only housed in a coop together at night. They all free range during the day.

My Runner drake shows no interest in the chickens while they're free ranging during the day either. He has nine ducks to service that keep him busy. The chickens are big and intimidate the ducks though, so we maintain separate night housing for them. I'm totally surprised that chickens can be such bullies.

Back
Top Bottom