Limping duck and cut on foot

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by felicity5, Jan 20, 2013.

1. felicity5

felicity5 Out Of The Brooder

Oct 14, 2012
    I came outside this morning to find my pekin duck limping and with a cut on his foot.
    I'm thinking about bathing it in antiseptic but unsure if I should take him to the vet.
    He is trying to keep up with my other duck and can't really walk that fast so I'm scared he will hurt his foot even more.
    When he isnt walking he is resting on his other leg with the injured foot slightly raised.

Any help!?[​IMG]

2. PoultryGirly

PoultryGirly Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2012
    No, I don't think you need to take him to the vet unless the limping gets worse or the cut gets severely infected. Yes, I would clean and bathe the cut foot and separate him from the rest of the flock for a day or so so he can get some rest. You could also wrap his foot up, but that isn't necessary yet.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners Premium Member

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    Cleaning the foot a few times a day, with saline solution or mild soapy water should help.

Keep an eye on it, and if it shows any sign of infection, I would use a triple antibiotic without painkiller (pk is toxic to ducks).

If he is limping, it may be that whatever caused the web injury also caused a sprain. Consider keeping him quiet in a clean crate with food and fresh water for a day, at least for overnight. Epsom salt compresses are good for sprains. Don't let him drink Es solution, though, it is a laxative.

[​IMG]

4. myfinefeatheredfriends

myfinefeatheredfriends Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 1, 2011
    Ohio
    Unfortunately duck's tender webbed feet made for water and not walking are prone to these kinds of cuts. Doesn't look bad enough that a little antiseptic, peroxide and ointment can't patch but if it gets infected or if it develops a black scab (known as Bumblefoot) then you may have to take it to the vet.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by