limping duck- how to help him

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by TeamChaos, Sep 15, 2011.

1. TeamChaos

TeamChaos Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 8, 2009
    I've got a black runner duck from this year's hatch and I'm new to ducks. He's limping- I looked at the pad of his foot and I see one little scab that hasn't gotten better or worse with vetricyn treatment. It does not match the bumblefoot description. He's with three other ducks and two geese and they are all eating game bird food and mixed veggies and greens, no one else has problems so I don't think it's dietary. What else should I check?

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    Quote:Do you have him in his own little space right now to let his leg rest? you might also want to do some soaks in somw warm epsom salt water a couple times a day. Just don't let him drink it.[laxative]. But he could still benefit from some brewers yeast sprinkled on his food, wouldn't hurt.

3. kuntrygirl

kuntrygirl Reduce, Reuse, Recycle

Feb 20, 2008
    Opelousas, Louisiana
    Quote:Do you have him in his own little space right now to let his leg rest? you might also want to do some soaks in somw warm epsom salt water a couple times a day. Just don't let him drink it.[laxative]. But he could still benefit from some brewers yeast sprinkled on his food, wouldn't hurt.

x2

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by