Limping Duck

I want to start by saying thank you to everyone for your responses. Later the next day I remembered my brother-in-law’s step-daughter was attending school for veterinary medicine; I gave her a call and she came right over. She suggested non-stick tape and taping the leg he was limping on for a few days, which is what I did. I keep a nicely stocked first-aid kit and had some. She said the Motrin was ok but only if we felt it was necessary and only at night when he’s going in his house. She said to keep him as immobile as possible. I placed a couple of soft blankets in the corner of the yard and he pretty much laid there for a couple days. The other ducks actually went and hung out with him majority of the day. When the other ducks went into the pool, he would squawk in his corner so me or my husband would place him in the pool and take him out. We removed the bandage yesterday and he barely had a limp; today his limp is gone.
Rundown
12/24 Noticed Midnight had a slight limp
12/25 Midnight’s limp had gotten much worse, he would just lay down. Made appointment with the farm vet for 12/30, earliest we could get seen without having to pay double price for an emergency visit. Bandage placed on Midnight’s leg, only the leg, none of the foot (recommendation by family vet tech).
12/25-12/27 Midnight’s mobility was very limited. We would carry him to the pool, his house, etc.
12/27 Removed Midnight’s bandage to see if the limp had improved and it had.
12/28 began running around with the other ducks and can easily catch up...limp is practically gone. We’re still placing him n the pool so he doesn’t injure himself again.

I hope he feels okay! :fl

Back
Top Bottom