Limping Duck...

CMills

In the Brooder
Apr 21, 2021
Hi everyone! I’m new here and for background I have 2 Khaki Campbell hens, Laverne and Shirley, that were originally from a family of 4 (3 hens and a drake, they had a visit from a fox)I got for my neighbor for her birthday, I inherited them back from my neighbor’s farm after her husband passed away and the farm sold. They are now very safely protected in a large pen with a house and pool in my back yard next to my border collie kennels where they keep an eye on their girls! Anyway, Laverne did survive a run in with a snapping turtle when she was much younger and has alway limped...yesterday she wouldn’t walk at all just laid there and used her wings to scoot so I carried her to the pool for her bath and then carried her to the house and put them both in for the rest of the day/night. This morning when I went out she seemed the same, maybe a tad worse, so I again carried her to the pool and back made sure there was plenty of water and food for them both and are keeping them confined. I actually made screen doors for their house so they have plenty of fresh air and sunshine without being turned out. My duck vet is on vacay this week so I can’t be seen for another 5 days. Recommendation was meloxicam 2-3 times a day, I already had this for my one dog so that was handy! Any other suggestions to keep her comfy until then? She did this before a few weeks ago not this severe and was fine after 2 days of “bed rest”.

It's very sweet how you are taking care of your duck. My duck has arthritis and I relate.

Just a thought, my understanding is that the usually dose schedule for Meloxicam is once daily. For my duck that wasn't effective at managing her pain and we increased to twice daily at the recommendation of her veterinarian. But we also started doing regular bloodwork to monitor kidney function. Maybe your duck is at a much lower dose so this doesn't apply.

We also restrict my duck's movement. Since her arthritis has gotten bad, even with pain medication, she can only go for a 10-20 minute walk before she starts limping again. I make the rest of the flock stay with her so she doesn't get anxious.

It sounds to me like you're doing great!

It's very sweet how you are taking care of your duck. My duck has arthritis and I relate.

Just a thought, my understanding is that the usually dose schedule for Meloxicam is once daily. For my duck that wasn't effective at managing her pain and we increased to twice daily at the recommendation of her veterinarian. But we also started doing regular bloodwork to monitor kidney function. Maybe your duck is at a much lower dose so this doesn't apply.

We also restrict my duck's movement. Since her arthritis has gotten bad, even with pain medication, she can only go for a 10-20 minute walk before she starts limping again. I make the rest of the flock stay with her so she doesn't get anxious.

Hi! Thanks for responding, I asked about the frequency and she is to get .5cc twice a day

so I was worried about that too as my dog gets it once a day as needed...I was told ducks metabolize it differently and twice a day at .5cc?

Hi! Thanks for responding, I asked about the frequency and she is to get .5cc twice a day

so I was worried about that too as my dog gets it once a day as needed...I was told ducks metabolize it differently and twice a day at .5cc?
Well, my duck gets 1.6ccs twice daily!! Lol. So that would explain the blood testing. If your vet told you to do it I'm sure there isn't a problem.

The metabolizing thing makes complete sense to me. I have an understanding of that in cats vs dogs. Plus, when my duck was on Meloxicam once daily it was not effective. Twice daily made a big difference for her.

After a few days of bed rest she seems to be doing a bit better, I let her out this morning, she did a lot of lying around but was also mobile. Fingers crossed she’s on the mend!

Back
Top Bottom