Limping duck?

I think the duck would do well to see a vet, if you can swing it. Sounds like the infection is systemic, so she will need some serious care (this is my gut feeling).

Cutting is not a good first resort, because it opens the foot up to worse infection. If there is not just one obvious place that is swollen, then I think treating with oral antibiotics might make more sense.

I have been treating it with oral antibiotics and IM antibiotics, and I'm getting some different ones now.

I'm surprised you say cutting isn't a first resort because most people seem to advocate that, for chickens anyway.

I am considering a trip to the vet, it will cost me a bundle and I honestly don't have a lot of faith in them, but it's a moot point for the next couple days because they are closed so I need to make my own plan until then...

I can't speak for others, just my own experience.

Opening the foot creates a large gateway for bacteria to enter the bloodstream. It also risks cutting too deeply and adding another injury to the foot. It takes more time and materials and follow up care. Confining a duck is no fun for anyone, but they are safer confined until the foot seals up.

Sometimes things have gone so far that surgery is the best option. But catching it early enough, it is not necessary.

Back
Top Bottom