Limping Easter Egger pullet

Islander7

In the Brooder
Jul 12, 2016
One of my layers has been limping. She does not have bumblefoot, no noticeable swelling or tenderness, no temperature difference. I've been giving her aspirin for the past few days (81 mg) and building an inclosure for her inside my layer's 10x10 run. I live on an island with limited ferry access, so getting parts is a long process. Right now, I'm on the ferry to return some parts that were the wrong size,

She is eating and drinking well. And the others have left her along so far. She does get up on the rousts (highest is about 4') -- so once I get her into the enclosure, I'll be able to control that. It should be finished about noon or so today. I had been thinking of keeping her in it during the day and then moving her to the hen house for the nighttime, but last night I discovered that she is the hen that sleeps on the dropping tray between one of the rousts (about 6" high) and the wall. She could be catching her leg in there or sleeping on it weird.

Any help is appreciated.

Keeping her caged inside the run will be a good idea.
She most likely injured her leg by jumping down. Provide her with her normal feed, add some extra protein like scrambled/hard boiled egg, tuna, mackerel or meat. If you have them give some poultry vitamins for a couple of days to help give her a boost.

Leg injuries take a little time to heal, but it's best to keep her where the others are around her. It may take a few weeks.

I had one that landed wrong from the roost, so I caged her in the run. Let her out at night so she could go roost - she would go up fine, but getting down - not so good, so every morning for a few weeks, I went out early and got her down from the roost to prevent further injury and placed her in her cage in the run with food/water. She's fine now and seems to have no problems, but I keep an eye on her. For a few months she roosted lower, but I noticed she is starting to go higher, so time will tell if she re-injures herself.

Thanks. Other posts that I read said 3 days and I'd already figured out that she was probably going to need more time, so your comments about how long it takes are re-assuring. The nesting boxes on the side where all of them like to roost are blocked off, but if I open them I can probably reach her and pluck her out in the mornings before I let the others out. Any suggestions on how long to continue the aspirin?

Thanks. Other posts that I read said 3 days and I'd already figured out that she was probably going to need more time, so your comments about how long it takes are re-assuring. The nesting boxes on the side where all of them like to roost are blocked off, but if I open them I can probably reach her and pluck her out in the mornings before I let the others out. Any suggestions on how long to continue the aspirin?

I don't know how long about the aspirin. You will have to use your judgement on that, you'll have to gauge her pain level, but I personally wouldn't continue for more than a couple of days.

Thanks, all, for your help. She's been inside the new enclosure inside the run for several days now. She's still limping -- baring weight apparently still hurts -- but I think there's a little improvement. I take her out at night and put her in the hen house at night and then in the morning, I catch her as she marches out of the house and put her back. She has water, Feather Fixer feed (higher protein), and shelter inside; and, I make sure she gets a little of any treats I give the others from the garden. It's been hot here lately, so that has included half a frozen cucumber -- which helps to keep her hydrated too. She is also laying as of about 4 days ago -- a beautiful green egg!

This video was taken yesterday day morning:
She is no longer walking on her elbow -- so is doing noticeably better! I'm thinking that I should keep her in the enclosure for at least a week after she shows no signs of limping to solidify her healing -- any thoughts on the length of time?

Last edited:
This video was taken yesterday day morning:
She is no longer walking on her elbow -- so is doing noticeably better! I'm thinking that I should keep her in the enclosure for at least a week after she shows no signs of limping to solidify her healing -- any thoughts on the length of time?

She a pretty girl
smile.png

I'm glad she is improving. Your plan on keeping her up until no signs of limping is a good idea.

I did let mine out a little early and she decided to help dig a crater to dust bathe in. (a girl's got to look good
smile.png
) She was limping again the next day, so back in the cage she went for several more days.

Back
Top Bottom