limping hen, hardly walking, no signs of injury

Hello Sarah here!
I also have a hen who has been limping for a month or so. At first I think something fell or flipped on to her. I read somewhere that if there's no sign of bumble foot or a break that it could take 6 weeks to heal if the tissue is bruised. That being said I kept her isolated in the bathtub on a 2x4 and she went back to the coop healed!....finally! However lately she's almost the same as when I braught her in. I think she reinjures it coming down off the roost. And being stubborn she won't take a lower spot. Not sure what to do as it may just be a reoccurring cycle. I'm not sure if she's laying but wasn't when I had her inside until part way through her recovering so likely not.

Thank you, eggcessive! She layed an egg 2 days ago. She should be about 4 years old.i'll send a pic of her feet.

Hi there, I have the same issue expect mine is turkey hen she is 6-7 months old. Eats only when food is in front of her if another birds comes over she limps away. She looking skinnery every week. I'm not sure what to do when you help gudie her she just falls over. No wounds or cuts doesn't look like anything is broken nothing... What is the promblem?

How old is the hen? When you look at her leg and foot, do you see any swelling or black spots on the bottom of the foot pad, or any swelling in the joints, or bruising anywhere on the leg? Pictures may help. In younger chickens, a leg injury or Mareks disease might be a problem. In older birds, again an injury may be a problem, but sometimes hen who are laying internally or who have egg yolk peritonitis or ascites may have problems walking. Is she laying presently? Has she been vaccinated for Mareks?
I have a bird that has been doing the same thing for a couple weeks. She has stopped eating and drinking unless I feed her by hand. I thought maybe she may be egg bound but after reading your post, she does have a black spot on the foot pad of the leg she limps on.

I have a bird that has been doing the same thing for a couple weeks. She has stopped eating and drinking unless I feed her by hand. I thought maybe she may be egg bound but after reading your post, she does have a black spot on the foot pad of the leg she limps on. I’ve attached a photo of her foot below.

Attachments

• 482B8A5A-177D-4319-BA8B-0603F7D99617.jpeg
    482B8A5A-177D-4319-BA8B-0603F7D99617.jpeg
    385.9 KB · Views: 1

Back
Top Bottom