Limping Hen - Need Some Help! Pics included

Video of her limping finally uploaded! I’d also love opinions on her possible broodiness. Maybe she’s fluffed for balance? She’s not very territorial is the main reason I question. She spent maybe ten minutes outside here and then went back to her nest. Another hen was on the (empty) nest and Miss Mary just waited on a roosting bar patiently until the other hen left. If she IS broody, maybe she wouldn’t make a good mama if she doesn’t have some feist to her? Would a non-broody injured hen continue back to the same nesting box like that?

Poor gal is limping quite a bit. I would personally just make her rest in a crate for a while and check her walking once a day. Getting up to a roosting bar and in and out of nesting boxes could be hurting her more as well.

I agree having to jump down from the nesting box isn't going to help her heal, she needs to rest that leg. You know when we get a sprain we have to sit around with our leg supported? well that is the kind of rest we're talking about.
Very pretty chickens by the way.

Thanks!! I’m going to figure a feed/water situation outside her box so she doesnt have far to go. It helps she’s broody anyway. She is gladly resting. Of course I won’t push her but I hope she heals in three weeks time! I’ve got chick fever! 😆

Two weeks later and Miss Mary is limping just the same. She’s been resting on her nest exclusively except maybe once a day getting up to eat/drink/etc. Her foot/hock looks exactly the same as before. She’s due for chicks this Friday - I was planning to get some day old pullets from the farm store and put under her. But should I not and just hope she goes broody again soon? I don’t want to stress her. She’s not any better. But she also doesn’t seem to be getting worse. 🤷‍♀️

Back
Top Bottom