Limping Hen- Rooster Damage? Any ideas please!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by eggsrcool, Jan 4, 2010.

1. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

Hi,

I have a farmyard hen that I noticed was limping this morning. I let them out a few hours later than I normally do. Her back is bare, and there are some feathers missing, so I think it might be rooster damage.

Thanks for any ideas or suggestions as to how I could go about treating her.

2. revolutionmama

revolutionmama Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 11, 2008
    CabinInTheWoods
    I have one with the same problem, I was wondering if it was a rooster - but the feathers are all there. It's like half of her can't move.

3. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

The limping hen injured by the rooster should be isolated, do you have a hospital cage for your coop? Dog cage? She probably needs some of this solution a few times daily for inflammation- 1 low dose aspirin (81 mg) crushed with a spoon and dissolved in a litre/quart of water. If she is in a cage you can make this her liquid. If you decide to give separately you'll need a dropper to drizzle along her beak (avoid the nares) so she sips a little each time. She is probably bruised on the back too and this will give her a break and give you a chance to see how fast she recovers. If hse is better in 2-3 days you can probably assume trauma and return her as you see fit. If not, you may have something more serious going on.

It never hurts to give limping hens a multivitamin, such as baby vitamins (no added iron) in water. The reason is that layers have a high demand for vitamins B, E and especially vitamin D, which coordinates with oyster shell (Ca) to keep bones healthy and to make eggshell. Molting hens have a VERY high need.

Read here, Incident 04.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/web/viewblog.php?id=7693-sick-hen

revolutionmama-As for the other hen, none of the above will hurt her, but it sounds like a more serious situation and she will need isolation, a full exam including for parasites, a nutritional overview before deciding if she needs a vet or more intensive care. Please research Marek's disease, just in case.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2010
  4. eggsrcool

eggsrcool Sussex Fanatic

She doesn't seem the correct age to have Mareks, she is probably a year or more.
    I don't have a hospital coop, however tomorrow I will have to see what I can do. I will clean out the houses as well.

Can you give me any sources of aspirin, because I'm not sure.
    Shall I give her a poultry spice (for moulting hens)?
    I've taken a look at the bottom of her foot, but I think (if I looked at the correct foot), that I saw a yellow spot...

Thanks for your help.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by