Limping hen update Should I keep trying to help or end her suffering?

I updated in the first post. Sorry.

New Update. I had to put this chicken down. She quit eating and could not move around. I did find a lump on her after she died on her waddle. Wondering if it was cancer of some sort. RIP Roxy.

UPDATE: 8/11/11

I wanted to update what is going on with my chicken. I tried wrapping her hurt leg for about 3 weeks in hopes that if it was broken it would heal.

Good news is the sore that she had in the pictures below has healed up. Bad news is she is in worse shape than she was before.

The poor girl now never puts weight on the right leg but now also seems to have become very weak on her other leg as well. When she gets up to move (using her wings) she is very wobbly and only seems to be able to hold her weight up for about 5 seconds before plunking back down. She spends most of the day sitting/laying on the lawn moving only about 15 feet in a day. She still eats and drinks ok though I think she has lost a little weight even though I continue to move a bowl of food and water around with her throughout the day. Upon re-reading the posts I had before I see the vitamin B recommendation. I had not tried the vitamins.

I purchased some vitamin B complex drops and have started her on them today. On searching the forum it seems that sometimes birds have problems with their legs/standing if they have vitamin deficiencies? I am hoping this is what it could be. My biggest issue is am I doing my hen an injustice not putting her down? She doesn't appear to be in pain when she is laying around BUT she isn't doing much but sitting around all day. I have to move her in and out of the coop. She sleeps in a nest box I place her in. She doesn't get to do the things the other chickens are doing. She just sits alone in one spot all day while the other girls run happy around the yard. Should I keep trying to help her get better or is it a lost cause and not right to keep my hen in this condition? Just not sure what to do. My husband wants to put her down but the kids and I just aren't ready to do that in hopes we can still help her. What to do.​

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom