Limping lamb losing weight. What to do?

kuntrygirl

Reduce, Reuse, Recycle
11 Years
Feb 20, 2008
Opelousas, Louisiana
I have a 5 month old Barbado lamb that I noticed was limping on her front right leg about about 2 weeks ago. She and the other lambs and sheep play so much, I thought that maybe one of the others stepped on her or she stepped on something. I have also noticed that she has been losing weight. She is still eating, drinking and playing with the others. She is now limping on the back left leg. I am VERY worried about her. There are no signs of broken bones, cuts, scrapes, bruises, etc. I am so puzzled as to what could be wrong. Is there anything that I can do from home to treat her or should I just take her in to the vet?

First you need to figure out why she's limping. She could possible have foot scald or foot rot. Check inbetween her toes for redness, white color, and foul smell. Make sure her hooves are trimmed so she's not getting mud/manure trapped. If it is foot rot, you can treat with Hoof N Heel, or soak in a copper or zinc sulfate solution. If you only have a few sheep, it's probably easier to use Hoof N Heel. If it's bad and not responding to the Hoof N Heel, you can give her an antibiotic. My favorite for hoof rot is LA-200. It stings them, but it works quickly on foot issues.

As far as the weight loss goes, what are they eating? Have they been dewormed? Are her mucous membranes (check inner eye lid) nice and deep pink? You may want to take a fecal sample to the vet to check.

I would have a vet come out and look at her. I have no knowledge of sheep, but I know I have had a goat with CAE we had to put down. She was limping (causes like a arthritis in the joints) and losing weight bad, but I do not know if Sheep can get that. I also had another goat with Johnes disease, but thats NOT similar to your symptoms.

Back
Top Bottom