Limping on right leg

GaNewChick

Songster
10 Years
Mar 12, 2009
McDonough, Ga.
Hello all ~

These are some pictures taken by our deer cam, they are wild chickens who won't let us within 20 to 30 feet of them.

I'm down to 2 roosters ~ they fought until there were 2 left. We are building a coop now.

My question is that the yellow one (what kind of chickens are these guys and gals?) is limping on his right leg. Will put some pressure on it when walking but will otherwise stand on 1 leg or lay down. My guess is that he may have gotten in a scrap over the gals or he could have fallen from the tree. When trying to roost in the evening they sometimes lose their balance or fall when trying to get to a higher limb.

How in the world would you catch him, if need be? This just started this morning so I have thrown him some scratch feed in 3 places close to him so he doesn't have to travel far.

Give him a day or two to see if it heals on its own. I'm positive that if we did try to lure him into something or try to catch him, he would only hurt it worse.

He was searching for food a little while ago, but the leg seems to tire him out.

Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Rooster2.jpg

Rooster1.jpg

Wow!
Those have got to be the most beautiful wild birds I have ever seen!

And to catch some, I could try putting chicken wire around a big area in the woods-esk type area
(Use the trees as posts.)
Make sure you leave an openning big enough to be a two or three body widths wide and throw nice treats in the middle whenever they're watching. (Mabye even a mouse.)
They won't go for it right away, but slowly some of them will venture into the closed off area. That's when you strike. Scare them into it all the way and seal off the exit. Be sure to have a good net so you don't get hurt.
big_smile.png

I hope this helps.

Thanks ~ I call them wild, kinda like a feral cat. One hen and one rooster showed up last year from somewhere. They've been here ever since.

Does anyone know what kind they are?

If the one limping doesn't get better, I don't know how we could ever get a close up look at it. He would kills us or himself trying to get away.
smile.png

Back
Top Bottom