Limping Peacock

bordemundo

In the Brooder
May 31, 2015
Puerto Varas Chile
Hi Everyone!! i have got a male peacock limping now for three weeks, we've checked for bumblefoot, wounds or fractures without finding anythng. He eats well, puts his foot in the floor, even scratches with it, but doesn,t seem to improve with time at all, he moves around little bits jumping on the other foot. Do you think it will get better on it's own? should we try to figure out antynflamattory dose? maybe cut the tail a bit for the weight? Thank you so Much!
Javiera

Hi Everyone!! i have got a male peacock limping now for three weeks, we've checked for bumblefoot, wounds or fractures without finding anythng. He eats well, puts his foot in the floor, even scratches with it, but doesn,t seem to improve with time at all, he moves around little bits jumping on the other foot. Do you think it will get better on it's own? should we try to figure out antynflamattory dose? maybe cut the tail a bit for the weight? Thank you so Much!
Javiera

Javiera,
Nice name by the way, do you know the age of the rooster by chance? The reason ask is because a lot of people think peafowl live to 80yrs old and from my personal observations the lifespan is much lower. IB roosters will start getting arthritic in their late teens and usually start to show their age with stiff legs and hips by around 20yrs old they start to go downhill and stop roosting. Ive personally never observed one go past 25yrs of age but, have heard of it. FYI IB hens dont last near as long and Greens seem to start aging much earlier. Your lucky if you get a good green rooster past 15yrs old IMHO. Barring an injury or disease to your rooster, i would consider his age as well. I hope this helps

Gerald Barker

Thank you! :)
He is about five years old, or at least that is what they told me when i got him, will try to post a video. Is there anything to help with arthritis? i am currently giving him arnica homeopathic pills, and vitamines.
Javiera

Thank you! :)
He is about five years old, or at least that is what they told me when i got him, will try to post a video. Is there anything to help with arthritis? i am currently giving him arnica homeopathic pills, and vitamines.
Javiera

If it is indeed arthritis from aging or a previous injury, theres not much you can do when mother nature is involved. A video would be great,
1f44d.png

Gerald Barker

Still can't upload the video, been waiting for a week to upload to youtube and then copy link here!! As soon as i get it i will post it here, thank you apl for your advice!!

We have only cow vets and dogs and cats, not any avian vets... There is one university (cows and sheep) where i could take him for x rays, but last time they just left my peahen caged the whole day and showed it to all the students, didn't even examine her.. So not sure the stress is really worth it...

Back
Top Bottom