Limping Pullet after Integration

SuperflyMD

Chirping
5 Years
Feb 15, 2014
West Texas
The afternoon after I integrated young pullets (2.5 months) with my somewhat older (7 months) layers, I noticed one of the young Jersey Giants was limping. My daughters let them out that morning and didn't notice limping. My assumption was that she was bullied by the big girls, but I didn't see it and haven't observed any other problems. The young-ins generally avoid the big girls and I've seen no confrontations. I also have a small dog and four cats, but they also generally avoid the birds.

I picked her up and inspected the foot and leg without finding anything obvious by look or feel. The rest of the flock is free ranging, so I put her (and another pullet for company) back in the grow out coop, but it's been 3 days and I don't see much change for better or worse.

Any ideas?

Last edited:
Update:

After several days of observation, nothing had changed. I inspected the leg and foot again without answers. After I started giving her aspirin water, she improved dramatically and I put her back with the flock.

That was almost two weeks ago, and she was doing great. We just got back from a few days out of town, and she was limping again. Once more, no findings on physical exam.

I put her back in quarantine and mixed a new batch of aspirin water.

I could still use some ideas.

Back
Top Bottom