Limping pullet follow up

trashcan79

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2010
Hello-
I've posted once or twice about this but wanted to follow up. About 2 weeks ago my pullet started limping and there was no obvious issues causing it. Fast forward to last Friday. There's a bump/scabby spot near where the scale meet the feathers and some swelling has occurred. During this 2 week period she's been in a wire dog crate that I keep in the hen house for when I need to socially isolate.

Yesterday and today I did hot water/epsom soaks and I'm attaching pictures of before after. I'm looking for ideas/help. Not sure what this is!

Attachments

• IMG-0710.jpg
    IMG-0710.jpg
    324.6 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG-0711.jpg
    IMG-0711.jpg
    441.9 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-0714.jpg
    IMG-0714.jpg
    457.3 KB · Views: 6
  • IMG-0715.jpg
    IMG-0715.jpg
    523.4 KB · Views: 7
Hi, there! Sorry it took do long to get a reply. How's your chicken doing today?
I think it's getting better after getting worse?! Yesterday I did some frontier medicine and soaked the leg in epsom bath. Afterwards, pulled the scab off and made tiny incision because it looked like there was a head or kernel inside the sore (I was thinking staph, like bumblefoot). Nothing really came out except a little blood. Cleaned it super well, saturated with Vetericyn, let dry, coated in Neosporin, and gauze wrapped. Picture is from today.

Just did today's epsom bath and she's drying off. Then meds and wrap and back to the crate in the henhouse!

She's a charismatic bird and very pretty, plus she's got green egg genes, so I'm really wanting her to recover well! It's hard to tell because she's wet, but she has a full muffs and beard, and a crest, and she has beetle black tail feathers!

Attachments

• 28_july.jpg
    28_july.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 5
  • IMG-0701.jpg
    IMG-0701.jpg
    320.5 KB · Views: 6
She has a definite limp/struggle and her toes have been really lax, but again that's getting better too.

She's much more mobile this week though. Going back two weeks, she pretty much stayed sitting and would only hobble over to food/water. Hard time getting up and hard time getting back down. Now, she stands up when I come to the coop and everytime I go in there she's in a different place in her crate. I'm not ready to try anything like letting her range out, but slowly coming along.

Back
Top Bottom