Limping Pullet Help

trashcan79

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2010
I have a little pullet, maybe 12 weeks, that has a nasty limp. Not sure what triggered it. And I see I can't post a video...

I haven't been able to find anything that I can conclusively say is wrong. Nothing obviously broken, no swelling, no splaying, etc. Since I can't tell where or what the issue is I'm hesitant to splint or anything like that.

Right now she's sequestered in a dog kennel with food and water inside the coop. She's eating and drinking without help. She doesn't move around too much, but I find her in different places so she is moving. She's been in the kennel for 4 days and it seems like things are progressing a little. She'll stand up when I come in to the coop, and when she sits back down it's in a controlled fashion (at first she'd 'hover' and then basically flop down).

My questions are:
  • Anything I should try to look for? Like I said, nothing obvious in terms of a break or something dramatic
  • If she just needs R&R to recover from a sprain/strain/fracture what could I be looking at in terms of time in the kennel? I want her to heal and not get immediately re-hurt by roosting or an over amorous cockerel

trashcan79

Songster
11 Years
Jul 19, 2010
You can. You just have to upload it to YouTube or Vimeo or some other online video platform and post the link here.
Have you also supplemented her with poultry vitamins?
Ah, thanks for the tip! I have not given her vitamins. Suggestions on type/brand?

I gave her a bath to clean her up and look her over again and it looks like there's some swelling of the right ankle joint (the backwards knee part). Agree, or am I seeing things?

Attachments

• IMG-0623.jpg
    IMG-0623.jpg
    462 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-0624.jpg
    IMG-0624.jpg
    466.1 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-0625.jpg
    IMG-0625.jpg
    539.9 KB · Views: 1
  • IMG-0626.jpg
    IMG-0626.jpg