limping pullet

jansus09

Chirping
5 Years
May 5, 2015
Columbiana, AL
One of my 8 week old ee's put herself to bed early last night. She did come out and join the other 6 chickens for a meal worm treat before I locked them in for the night. This morning her left foot is swollen and she's lying around instead of foraging. We soaked her foot in Epson salt and warm water. (She kept drinking the water) she limps and the ball of her foot is slightly swollen.the other 6 chickens go off for a while and then come back and lie in the straw beside her. She is in a shady spot with food and water. There is no sign of a sore. Are we doing the right thing soaking her foot? Anything else we should do? Our chickens range in our yard during the day and sleep in the coop at night. None of them have had any health issues before this.
Also, I bought more feed today and was told I should keep them on medicated chick starter until they're eight months old. Is this correct?[/B]

I'm new to chickens, but from what I've read on BYC you should feed layer mix when the first one starts laying, or you can feed all flock & supplement with oyster shell when they start laying. Lots of choices out there. Mine are 12 weeks old & are on starter/grower ration. I'll probably switch to layer mix in about 4 weeks or so.

One of my 8 week old ee's put herself to bed early last night. She did come out and join the other 6 chickens for a meal worm treat before I locked them in for the night. This morning her left foot is swollen and she's lying around instead of foraging. We soaked her foot in Epson salt and warm water. (She kept drinking the water) she limps and the ball of her foot is slightly swollen.the other 6 chickens go off for a while and then come back and lie in the straw beside her. She is in a shady spot with food and water. There is no sign of a sore. Are we doing the right thing soaking her foot? Anything else we should do? Our chickens range in our yard during the day and sleep in the coop at night. None of them have had any health issues before this.
Also, I bought more feed today and was told I should keep them on medicated chick starter until they're eight months old. Is this correct?[/B]

Not sure what is wrong with her foot, pictures might help, but you don't need to keep them on medicated feed until eight months. About sixteen weeks is the latest I would go. At that age they should have developed immunity to coccidiosis and no longer need medicated feed to prevent that. Just go with a non medicated grower feed until they start laying.

Back
Top Bottom