Limping roo

Jemry77

Chirping
Feb 1, 2018
Yesterday, I found my year old buff orpington roo laying in the garden by himself. His lady friends were on the other side of the yard, which struck me as odd because he's never without his ladies. When I approached him, he stood up and I noticed he was hobbling on his right foot. When he began to walk around I noticed him limping. He can put weight on the right leg when standing still, but limps to get around. I also noticed that at times his right foot just slips behind him instead of making contact with the ground. I did check for bumble foot, I couldn't see anything. Any ideas are appreciated! I do have a video of him that I took with my phone but I can't add it here because it's an mp4.

Last edited:
Pictures really would help. Anyway, how does the foot feel? hot? red? bumble start small and inconspicuous....
It could be an injury from jumping down from a perch etc. keep an eye on him, hopefully it will resolve in a couple of days, keep us posted, :)

That's the best picture I have right now. I'll post the video as soon as I figure how. Thank you for your info! The foot is not hot or red.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20180323-181948.png
    Screenshot_20180323-181948.png
    289.5 KB · Views: 3
Last edited:
I can't zoom in on the leg so can see very little of interest....which is good, no obvious injury or deformity. How high are your roosting perches?
Orpingtons are known to be heavy breeds and can injure their feet and legs simply jumping down. Perches of 18 inches or less are best. Keep us posted, :thumbsup

I did get the video posted, finally There isn't any obvious injury or deformity in the leg. He was fine yesterday morning and limping by late afternoon. His roost is about 4ft off the ground. I know it's high..It's a metal shelf that all my chicks roost on for unknown reasons. I'm going to put hay and pine chips in front of it so he at least has a soft landing in the morning. I'm not going to let him free range tomorrow so he can get some rest and I can keep a close eye on him. Were you able to see the video?? His gait is off..

I did get the video posted, finally There isn't any obvious injury or deformity in the leg. He was fine yesterday morning and limping by late afternoon. His roost is about 4ft off the ground. I know it's high..It's a metal shelf that all my chicks roost on for unknown reasons. I'm going to put hay and pine chips in front of it so he at least has a soft landing in the morning. I'm not going to let him free range tomorrow so he can get some rest and I can keep a close eye on him. Were you able to see the video?? His gait is off..
Ummm...no, where is it? Rest is good, as is a soft landing area - I suspect this is the problem. Is there any way you can lower that shelf?
Ok just found the vid...I'm slow :rolleyes: that looks like it could be problematic. Are all the joints of the affected leg moving ok? Can you move tehm w/o causing distress to him? What about his 'hip' is that moving ok? I think the problem is high up b/c he's not weight bearing too much

It shows on top of my first post. I can take the shelf out. That'd eliminate that, I just didn't think that was the problem as he was not limping in the morning when I let him out, he started limping later in the afternoon.

It shows on top of my first post. I can take the shelf out. That'd eliminate that, I just didn't think that was the problem as he was not limping in the morning when I let him out, he started limping later in the afternoon.
I really think he has injured it by jumping from 4ft - that is high! If you can put the shelf at 2ft that would be much better, lots of soft landing material as you suggested. If he will allow you, try to massage his leg in the afternoon when he is hurting.
If this doesn't resolve within a few days I would take him to the vet just to check for broken bones if you can afford it...

He can put weight on the right leg when standing still, but limps to get around. I also noticed that at times his right foot just slips behind him instead of making contact with the ground.

I would definitely restrict his activity for a couple of days to see if there is improvement. Feel the leg for warmth, swelling, etc.

It could be a sprain or he landed wrong and slipped something out of place. The floor he is walking on in the video - is it slick? How is the landing area in your coop where he jumps off? You mention you will add hay/bedding, was where he jumps slick or hard flooring?

The pic and video were taken in my garage that has concrete flooring, it would be slick for him to walk on..probably why is leg is splaying out more so than when he walks in the yard? The landing area in the coop is covered in pine chips and hay. I had to add more bedding where he jumps down because the hens had moved the chips that were already there around. The flooring under the bedding is wood, so it would be slick if he did land on a bare spot. If that is what happened, would symptoms not show right away? I didn't feel any warmth on his foot or leg. I also don't notice any swelling, the leg looks the same as his left leg. I was thinking he may have a dislocated hip? Thank you for your input! I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom