Limping runner duck

CharS

In the Brooder
Jun 24, 2016
Hi! New to this group & also new to ducks. Been interested in owning runner ducks for a while & now have 3. They are 8 weeks old.
When out foraging one of my runners was spooked by something on the field behind, she bolted & ran straight into the front of a parked lawnmower. She was fine until the next morning when I noticed a slight limp, I thought it may have just been a little sore & left her to it, letting her out later & putting her to bed earlier, it's progressively got worse. She is doing everything a runner should do absolutely fine barring preening, she's struggling a little when stood up straight as she is walking/stood on her tiptoes & not putting weight on the back on her foot. It's been 5 days now & I haven't seen a difference. Is there anything I can do to help her? I have checked her foot & leg, all seems ok & the same as the other leg, no heat, no lumps, bumps. I've also noticed she's in the pool a lot more than the other 2 runners. Is she more comfortable in water? I'm very much a newbie in all of this & any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks :)

When I see no obvious reasons for limping, I just let them be. I have one that started limping yesterday and she still explores all over the yard is out and about, but she is sitting down more so I don't feel the need to confine her anywhere since that just seems to annoy them more. Then usually a few days later, all is good again.

Back
Top Bottom