Limping... scaly leg mites?

mummyphd

In the Brooder
May 10, 2020
Our 8 month old Barred Rock started limping yesterday, avoiding putting weight on one foot. She will gingerly still dig with that foot.

We looked for bumble foot but are not seeing obvious signs (but we’ve never seen it IRL before...)

Wondering if it’s scaly leg mites, so we did a warm water soak, olive oil soak, and Vaseline today, just in case.

anyone have an idea of what this is? Sorry for the less than stellar pics. I had to holdher while my son was the photographer. :)
FAF2B3CC-F170-4983-80D8-C027D02AA06B.jpeg
FAF2B3CC-F170-4983-80D8-C027D02AA06B.jpeg 9BC23AEC-C71E-487B-BCE6-FDCB5A5BD39A.jpeg 9D10ABE3-2773-447C-9EA8-7B91522F32D1.jpeg 753E3FA6-F29E-4417-8F69-833283BE9556.jpeg

It looks more like an injury to the foot with the bruising. There seems to be some swelling as well. Hopefully, it is not broken. Does she keep her toes curled under? I would try to force her to rest the leg by confining her to a pen or a wire dog crate with food and water within the coop. Here is a splinting manual and look at page 22 for splinting the lower leg in case of a fracture:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf

It looks more like an injury to the foot with the bruising. There seems to be some swelling as well. Hopefully, it is not broken. Does she keep her toes curled under? I would try to force her to rest the leg by confining her to a pen or a wire dog crate with food and water within the coop. Here is a splinting manual and look at page 22 for splinting the lower leg in case of a fracture:
https://theiwrc.org/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/Duerr_Splinting_Manual_2010.pdf
Thanks for the response. She doesn’t keep her foot curled, but you can tell she doesn’t want to put weight on it. I think you may be right that it’s some kind of injury. And of course she is my youngest child’s “favorite” so I think we may try to get an appointment at the vet tomorrow...

Thanks for the response. She doesn’t keep her foot curled, but you can tell she doesn’t want to put weight on it. I think you may be right that it’s some kind of injury. And of course she is my youngest child’s “favorite” so I think we may try to get an appointment at the vet tomorrow...
Just an update to say that we took her to the vet and it looks like a soft issue injury, akin to a sprained ankle. She’s on an anti inflammatory and is doing much better!

Back
Top Bottom