Limping Turkey

starrmar006

Songster
6 Years
Jan 10, 2017
Western WA, USA
I have a 3 year old turkey that came home from free ranging in June and started limping then the next day of locked up in her run she seemed better shes been doing that all summer. I didn't think much of it I thought she tore a muscle or something but I think its been too long, can anyone help!

It might be a leg injury or sprain. Can you make sure there is no bumblefoot scab on her footpads, and look at her joints for any swelling? How active is she? Limiting activity and jumping, may help. Aspirin can be given in the water to help pain and help with inflammation.

I have a 3 year old turkey that came home from free ranging in June and started limping then the next day of locked up in her run she seemed better shes been doing that all summer. I didn't think much of it I thought she tore a muscle or something but I think its been too long, can anyone help!
If it is a hen, I would be surprised if it was anything other than a breeding injury. It happens all too often in a bad breeding or a contested breeding when there are multiple toms involved. You might be able to find a scar on her side right in front of her upper leg. I have a ten year old hen that was injured in a bad breeding when she was 6. She has had a limp ever since.

It might be a leg injury or sprain. Can you make sure there is no bumblefoot scab on her footpads, and look at her joints for any swelling? How active is she? Limiting activity and jumping, may help. Aspirin can be given in the water to help pain and help with inflammation.
She has no bumblefoot scab no joint swelling and she has been running around fighting pesky roosters.

If it is a hen, I would be surprised if it was anything other than a breeding injury. It happens all too often in a bad breeding or a contested breeding when there are multiple toms involved. You might be able to find a scar on her side right in front of her upper leg. I have a ten year old hen that was injured in a bad breeding when she was 6. She has had a limp ever since.
We don't have a tom for breeding, I wish we did

Back
Top Bottom