Limpy rooster

esturtz27

Songster
Jun 24, 2022
I have a rooster, named Dot, who is now very limpy on his left side. I thought it was bumble foot because some slight swelling in one foot started. Yet, I soaked with Epsom and treated with an antibacterial (the name evades me atm) and 5 days later no limp. He got in a scuff up with another roo but nothing seemed off. This is 3 weeks afterwards and now he is limping pretty hard. He has a very pronounced bobble to his walk and sits quite a bit. He can still perch,has no problems eating or drinking just lame. He is a very very large Beilefelder Roo. At 21 weeks old he's probably about 25 ish inches tall and weighs about 12 ish pounds. He did get told off by a hen who didn't want him on her back. We give them vitamins in their food and he was "vaccinated " for merecks as a chick. My question is any ideas on what's up with my roo?🤷🏻‍♀️ can a bird be too big? He's not fat but he's not skin and bones. Picture of Dot included

Attachments

• 20220925_174703.jpg
    20220925_174703.jpg
    579.9 KB · Views: 17
If you could upload a video to YouTube or a similar platform with a link here, we could see how he walks. Does it seem like his leg is numbish and he is putting weight on it, or does he hold the leg up? Have his legs always looked straight, and not bowed in or out? He is a big fellow, so hopefully the fast heavy growth has not caused this problem. I would look him over for any green bruising, redness, or swelling if it would still be noticeable. See if you can narrow down the area of pain. Look at his foot pad for any sores or scabs, and at his toes to see if they are curled under. It may be better to prevent him from jumping up and down to a perch, and limit his activity.

If you could upload a video to YouTube or a similar platform with a link here, we could see how he walks. Does it seem like his leg is numbish and he is putting weight on it, or does he hold the leg up? Have his legs always looked straight, and not bowed in or out? He is a big fellow, so hopefully the fast heavy growth has not caused this problem. I would look him over for any green bruising, redness, or swelling if it would still be noticeable. See if you can narrow down the area of pain. Look at his foot pad for any sores or scabs, and at his toes to see if they are curled under. It may be better to prevent him from jumping up and down to a perch, and limit his activity.
Ah I'm in luck because I just checked him over an hour ago. He's very knock knee'd(though i guess those are his ankles)....there is no space between this roo's knees unless he is running. He wasn't like this as a chick! I checked for brusing seems his left hock...hmm where you would get thigh meat( I've got no idea on live poultry body names on legs 🤦🏻‍♀️) seems tender but not green. He keeps the leg down or just plops in the middle of the girls and eats the food around him. It bends like normal. The pads of his feet are good. Hmm your post has me thinking now maybe he needs to come in to the garage for a week of chilling out. Does he need a buddy with him?

Last edited:
Any follow up on this? My rooster is doing the same thing!
Sadly, we ended up putting him down. We had him checked over by our vet who thankfully lives 3 houses down. No Mereck's no disease. The vet put it down to possibly having giantism or growing to fast for his joints to keep up. We did butcher him and his left hock joint was excessively stretched and the bone was very much out of normal place. He had been in a couple scuffles with the other roo. I think that may have exacerbated his joint issue. Im sorry about your rooster. There are quite a few things that can make them limpy mine was an odd case.

Sorry that you lost him. It sounds like one of his legs had varus or valgus deformity. It can affect one or both legs. One type causes bowing out of the legs, and the other causes a knock kneed appearance. Valgus deformity is shown below. Here is an article with pictures:
https://www.researchgate.net/public..._of_the_Intertarsal_Joint_in_Broiler_Chickens

View attachment 3410041
From looking at the pictures and reading the description seems like a varus deformity it wasn't obvious until he was full grown though or almost full grown. Possibly slight enough to not be noticed until he was much older because as a chick he was good.

Back
Top Bottom