Line breeding question

rocasocks

In the Brooder
8 Years
Sep 28, 2011
Nelson, Vic - Australia
Hi, I was just wondering if putting brother over sister is an absolute no?

I know you can put father over daughter and son over mother.

Just asking because I have six Speckled Sussex girls from three different lines, three are from the same line as the cockerels I have. One of the pullets from another line I have was supposed to be a cockerel, but has turned out to be a girl and now I'm desperately trying to find a boy before august.

It's not an absolute no. You just don't want to do it too often or problems will begin to unfold. I have a bird that is being bred to a rooster who is her half brother( could be full brother but don't know ).

Using a brother /sister mating can help get things going, heavy line breeding is used to establish and set hard traits for body type, feather, and color. Assuming the birds you have posses the traits you are trying to establish well you could easily set the traits you are looking for. I have used pullets from one male back under that male as many as 6 generations running and set the desired traits from him into the offspring on a very regular basis and reduced color and type culls this way.
there is a line breeding chart you may find helpfull, this will demonstrate a good method of continued linebreeding without using outside birds to maintain the traits you set and establish. It is posted in here somewhere I will see if I can find it for you.

Back
Top Bottom