Lining the Bottom of the Nest Box ???

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by iwiw60, Sep 21, 2014.

1. iwiw60

iwiw60 Overrun With Chickens

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Now that the weather is turning towards winter I'm wondering if the nesting boxes won't seem as "appealing" to my girls. They are Rubbermaid tubs with lots of pine wood shavings. But I hear them scratching away every day to find that "just right spot" and most times the egg is right on the bottom of the plastic bottom. In the winter that's gonna be COLD!

[​IMG]

Are there "liners" or whatever that I can put in the very bottom with the shavings on top? What to do, what to do!! [​IMG]

Anyone got ideas and what works good for them? [​IMG]

2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    Some people use that rubbery shelf lining material that comes in rolls with the shelf paper. Idon't know how much insulation it would rovide, of course, but at least it shouldn't gt scratched away. Simple enough to rinse and replace, too.

3. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    I thought about that stuff, too, @Judy but I'm thinking that they scratch the bottom so hard that it'll just get bunched up, etc. Hmmmmm, got to keep thinking ..... [​IMG]

4. gardengirl4288

gardengirl4288 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    I know some people that use rubber rug/floor mat that is decently heavy that cut to fit probably wouldn't get scratched away very easily

5. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Rubber rug/floor mats? Is that stuff thicker/stronger than the Rubbermaid shelf liner stuff? Sounds like I should look into that...thanks!

6. gardengirl4288

gardengirl4288 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 11, 2014
    Not sure how thick the shelf liner stuff is but I know you can get like car floor mats that are pretty solid and could withstand a lot of wear and tear

7. BubbaLikesIt

BubbaLikesIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    I use clean sand with DE mixed in and put straw on top.

8. texaspolloloco

texaspolloloco Out Of The Brooder

Jun 25, 2014
    Georgetown TX
    I have heard of people using carpet or carpet pad. I tried the pad and they scratch it all up. It can get a bit messy.

9. iwiw60

Jan 27, 2014
    Central Oregon
    Now...THAT....sounds like a great idea!! Thanks @gardengirl4288 !!

Quote:
    Eek! Sorry, I don't use DE on anything anywhere around the coop/run.

10. BubbaLikesIt

BubbaLikesIt Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2013
    No need to apologize. Why not? Been reading bad things about using DE? The chickens don't eat it and it keeps the sand dry. Very big debate about the uses of DE.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by