Link between calcium banded eggs and thin-shelled eggs?

Marle94

Songster
Dec 3, 2023
I’ve only had chickens for a couple months. My two Golden Comets have been laying eggs daily since the day I brought them home. A couple weeks ago, I noticed a “striped” egg, that I have since learned is “banded”. Later that same day, we found a thin shelled egg on the flower bed. All eggs prior to this were laid in the nesting box. Since then I have gotten two more banded eggs and also two more thin shelled eggs the same day as we find banded eggs. This morning, I found a banded egg in the roost. I made a point to go back in an hour and found a normal egg and a thin shelled egg. I’m pretty sure I know who is laying the banded and thin shelled eggs from the size of the egg, but I’m wondering if there is a correlation between the two. Should I be looking for a thin shelled egg every time I find a banded egg? They get a 16 %layer feed, have free choice oyster shell, and free time in the yard daily.

I’ve only had chickens for a couple months. My two Golden Comets have been laying eggs daily since the day I brought them home. A couple weeks ago, I noticed a “striped” egg, that I have since learned is “banded”. Later that same day, we found a thin shelled egg on the flower bed. All eggs prior to this were laid in the nesting box. Since then I have gotten two more banded eggs and also two more thin shelled eggs the same day as we find banded eggs. This morning, I found a banded egg in the roost. I made a point to go back in an hour and found a normal egg and a thin shelled egg. I’m pretty sure I know who is laying the banded and thin shelled eggs from the size of the egg, but I’m wondering if there is a correlation between the two. Should I be looking for a thin shelled egg every time I find a banded egg? They get a 16 %layer feed, have free choice oyster shell, and free time in the yard daily.
Welcome To BYC

Can you post photos of the eggs?

How old are the hens?

Do you give anything else besides the layer feed, any type of treats?

Without seeing the eggs, hard to know, but if you are finding a soft shelled egg in addition to another and it's the same girl laying both in one day, then I'd be inclined to give her extra Calcium for a week to see if it helps. Aim for around 600mg Calcium Citrate with D3, just pull down her wattles, pop the tablet into the beak and let her swallow.
You can find Calcium Citrate in the vitamin aisle at Walmart, CVS, etc.

https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/common-egg-quality-problems.65923/

Back
Top Bottom