Linoleum or pine chips at the bottom of the coop?

yorick

Chirping
10 Years
Nov 26, 2009
I've read a lot of posts that talk about the bottom of the coop but not a post dedicated to the question: Is it better to have wood chips (i.e. fine pine chips) or linoleum floor in the coop?

I hear the arguments about the linoleum being easy to clean and wipe but it seems like it would smell more because there is no wood chips to absorb the smell.

What do ya'll think?

I'd like to hear from those of you that did linoleum and am wondering if you would do it the same way a second time.

I plan on using a linoleum floor and pine pellets in my coop to really help reduce problems and make cleanup as easy as possible...I am contemplating using shredded paper in the coop, but I am definitely using it in the nesting boxes...Good luck with your coop!

Both! Linoleum on the bottom and three inches up and over the bottom support(2x4). And then shavings on the floor and hay in the boxes. Seems to be what my gals like. Clean up is once a month and really easy! Just rake out the shavings and then add fresh! Good luck. I am sure you will try many things before you find what works best for you!

Quote:
second this idea...

really, why not do both? Deep litter on top of lino, that way when you do have to clean it out, you get the ease of lino, plus thanks to deep litter, you dont have to clean it out often

Quote:
Yep...we use shavings on top of our vinyl flooring too! I do use a dropping board too though, and just do a quick scrape of it into a bucket once per day. LOVE the vinyl flooring!
smile.png

Quote:
Both! And neither!
wink.png

I like a linoleum floor with Aspen shavings. They are kiln dried and have less odor than pine. My avian vet has fits over pine shavings, but many folks here use it without a single problem.

Good luck!
smile.png

We have linoleum on the floor of one of ours. It's my preferred coop. We use a thick layer of pine shavings on the floor and in nest boxes. During Winter I like to add a layer of hay for the girls to scratch in when grass/greens aren't available outside.

The linoleum does make very easy clean-up.

Linoleum (vinyl flooring) does not make a good substitute for bedding. You still need bedding ON it. So, it is not really either/or
smile.png

Personally (having both of them myself), I do not think vinyl makes a big difference if you do not clean the coop very often and keep a good depth of bedding in there at all times; but if you keep only a thin layer of bedding (few inches) then it has some merits in minimizing poo 'welding itself on' to the floor where bare spots get exposed. Also, people who like to scrub things sparkly clean a lot seem to like vinyl over mere painted plywood <g>

Good luck, have fun,

Pat

I read about the bedding, I see wood pellets and shavings but what about actual wood chips. I can get a great deal a load of them. Is there bad woods for the chickens or do we feel wood chips would be to big? Thanks Joey

Back
Top Bottom