Vinyl vs. paint

Lils Roost

Chirping
Apr 21, 2024
Connecticut
So my new coop is starting to be built. I previously asked for opinions on automatic doors; thank you very much! Your input certainly helped. Now that I've got that set, I'm on to my next question. Do you prefer to have linoleum floors or a good porch paint for the floor? I've heard rave reviews about linoleum but then also a few ones about how the ladies can peck at it and could...could...end up ingesting some of it. :eek:

I used vinyl(not linoleum) sheeting, but I got the good stuff and it's been fine on coop floor and poop boards for 10+ years now.

So my new coop is starting to be built. I previously asked for opinions on automatic doors; thank you very much! Your input certainly helped. Now that I've got that set, I'm on to my next question. Do you prefer to have linoleum floors or a good porch paint for the floor? I've heard rave reviews about linoleum but then also a few ones about how the ladies can peck at it and could...could...end up ingesting some of it. :eek:
Not sure how they could peck at it enough to ingest it. Never had that issue.
If you're building your own coop, add the linoleum before you frame up the walls. The walls will sit on top of the linoleum, eliminating the possible issue of the edges curling up if it's cut to fit after the walls are up.

I used vinyl(not linoleum) sheeting, but I got the good stuff and it's been fine on coop floor and poop boards for 10+ years now.
After your input I checked into the vinyl vs. linoleum difference. Evidently linoleum is the OS version of vinyl - guess I'm dating myself. Good to hear about the amount of time it's lasted. Thanks for taking the time to give your input!

Not sure how they could peck at it enough to ingest it. Never had that issue.
If you're building your own coop, add the linoleum before you frame up the walls. The walls will sit on top of the linoleum, eliminating the possible issue of the edges curling up if it's cut to fit after the walls are up.
Excellent advice! I'll make sure to do that.

After your input I checked into the vinyl vs. linoleum difference. Evidently linoleum is the OS version of vinyl - guess I'm dating myself. Good to hear about the amount of time it's lasted. Thanks for taking the time to give your input!
Linoleum faded out some as vinyl came about, tho it's making a comeback. The word 'linoleum' is used(incorrectly) colloquially in many places.

When I shopped for vinyl, some of it is cheap and won't wear well, so
I tested by bending over a corner, some cracked or broke.
The kind I bought was heavy duty(0.085" thk) with foam backing.
It wasn't cheap but I was able to barter for part of the cost.
You can see the installation here.
1716555966897.png

Back
Top Bottom