linseed oil ok?

luvpartridge

In the Brooder
8 Years
Apr 17, 2011
is linseed oil okay to use around chickens?
i wanted to use it to treat the fir 2x4s i used to build the run, bc i didnt want to use pressure treated wood.
but i was worried about whether it would be toxic. and i was avoiding paint too...but maybe i shouldnt?

thanks for any expert advice!

We used linseed oil on the 2x4s in our run. Put 3 week old chickens in the run the next day, and every day since. 5 days later and nobody has died yet
smile.png

Linseed oil will be fine, as will paint. Just be sure to allow it drying time. Although mine were very nosy (imagine that- a curious chick) and pecked at a few drops of paint that landed on the ground(latex enamel). She obviously didn't care for it, shaking her haed as if she were spitting it out... My neighbors must think I'm Cuckoo- imagine watching someone painting a chicken coop with a chicken standing on his shoulder. I guess that sisnce my wife wasn't around to supervise, mother hen was next in line!

1 Qt Turpentine
1 Qt Boiled Linseed Oil
1/2 Pt Pine Tar
1/2 Pt Japan Driers

this is what I use to stain my boats with I also finish the shovel handles and bush axes etc the smaller the boat the less pine tar I use it just makes the finish a darker color the more driers you use to a point the quicker it dries just the LO and turp will take about a month to finally dry all the way I have substituted mineral spirits for the turps and it worked well also

thanks for the recipe, that sounds great!
do "japan driers" have any other name i could use in asking for them at a hardware store? i've never heard of them.
thanks again for all the replies!

Back
Top Bottom